Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A flash, not a demo, but revealed all that same? That indicates to me that this Centaurus device might not be available right away. Where as the Pro 7, Laptop/Book 3 might be available for purchases within a month of the Oct 2nd announcement....the Centarus might not be ready till later winter/early spring.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PS - that picture looks a lot like the experimental ThinkPad Yoga successor that has been making the rounds...and I second @desertlap 's observation of the Apple Watch...

I have become convinced over the last month or two, especially given a secret trial of a used MacBook Pro, that Apple really doesn't give what iota about the desktop/laptop experience - they will won EVERYTHING from tablet on down.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is definitely conjecture on my part, but if they do anything like Centaurus , it will be to announce that it's coming, and that it wont be real soon.

I'm basing this on past announcements with the surface book and surface pro. My reasoning is that it looks to have substantial new hardware which will require new software, especially things like libraries and frameworks.

Especially with the surface book, those libraries and frameworks started appearing in dev build of windows , a good bit before the new machines were announced. At least as of the last dev build we've seen, there wasn't anything in it that pointed to new hardware like what's alleged to be coming.

Like I said, my $.02. I really hope at least some of it is true, I'd love to see some brave innovation like what we had when the original surfaces came out.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. dstrauss

I saw the "hands-on" with several folks on the ThinkPad X1 Fold (Unbox Therapy and PC World) and it looks to me there is fold support in the works, even if they are just Lenovo extensions to Win10. Gordon Ung, who is a tough reviewer, was smitten with the ThinkPad Fold.

THIS is why I think we'll at least get a glimpse at Centaurus (the bus is leaving without them).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I didn't see this posted here, yet. https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20874338/microsoft-surface-pen-wireless-charging-fcc-filing

I really hope this is silo'ed like Lenovo does with their Wacom AES pens. Remember the rechargeable N-Trig pen they were showing off at shows and their site around the time MS bought them and canned the pen? Could this be similar to that? I personally prefer batteries, cause once the battery is dead as in it can’t hold a charge, I swap in a new battery. I can go to my local walgreens to get one or order amazing basic AAAA battery from Amazon.

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  7. dstrauss

YES, YES, and YES. Here's to hoping we are looking at a Lenovo like stick!

bloodycape and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. darkmagistric

I doubt we would ever get that. Those rechargeable AES sticks Lenovo used were in devices above the 10mm thick threshold. With the new Surface devices very likely going to 8mm or less....A silo'd pen would be impractical. Even with EMR...my Note 9 phone is thicker then my Surface Pro 5. There was a patent for a microsoft pen years back that spilts in half, but that would require more actual silo space. We're just at the point where a silo would require too many compromises.

10. darkmagistric

The wireless charging is a logical step. Microsoft was the first to incorporate the magnetic attachment of a Pen with the Pro 4 ......Apple then took that idea and brought it to the next level....so it would be fitting for Microsoft to reclaim that concept. This would also allow Microsoft more flexibility in the form/design/composition of the stylus, so its definitely a plus for that alone. One thing I am wondering about though is the location of where the pen will attach. The current Surface's and the iPad Pro connect to the side.....but the recent Tab S6 was so thin, Samsung opted to do the magnetic connection on the back of the device. Given the new Surfaces are still expected to retain the USB- Type A.....its almost certainly going to be on the side since they should be thick enough.....but it would be nice to see Microsoft do something more surprising and unexpected.