Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm calling it now... Surface Book X

"A FULL sized SD card slot, that allows an SD card to actually slot 'all the way' into the machine. It doesn't stick out and snap it two."

The revolution has begun.

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

upload_2019-9-13_10-6-44.png

OMG you guys... the just-released version of Pandora mentions that it's available on... Mobile Device! Courier confirmed.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It may not be branded as full-fat "Iris" with that shiny, fancy label but it's 8 execution units closer to... something or another. The execution units in Ice Lake are, pound for pound, unit for unit, stronger individually and there are a bit more of them to push out those pixels and polys. So directly comparing that with Intel UHD Graphics 620, you get 32 execution units which equates to 25% more of them. And it's a brand spanking new graphics architecture (Gen 11) compared to Comet Lake's Skylake (Gen 9.5), so you get greater performance from the graphics architecture too. I'm not entirely certain I'm happy with them going with the bottom-of-the-barrel G1 SKU when, thanks to the slithering sluggards at Intel HQ, Surface's graphics performance compared to Apple iPad has now been lagging several years behind the curve. Maybe, just maybe I will go for the naturally expected i7 variant with Iris if they don't go all Scoorge McDuck over it and overcharge for it (they most likely will, though), but we'll see. If they would have just gone with AMD instead of Intel because Wintel, we'd have substantially better graphics performance without that confounded Intel tax. No matter how you slice it, whether you want to classify it as an itty bitty piece of space junk, that's no moon, a planet that's not a planet because... science!, or what have you, it's a bit better than last-gen and definitely better than last year's Iris-less efforts... I guess.

Sources:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ice-L...-Fast-GPU-and-Many-New-Features.427171.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-1035G1-Laptop-Processor-Ice-Lake.423867.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-UHD-Graphics-G1-Ice-Lake-32-EU-Laptop-GPU.422873.0.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed with this. We haven't completed our testing yet and certain things are under NDA right now, but the 10th gen ice lake chips show substantial improvements across the board, but especially in graphics performance.
    Anybody upgrading will notice the difference.

5. sonichedgehog360

I'll be watching you with earnest (and baited breath) to see from these "certain things" what exciting new discoveries and observations you have to share when the NDA curtain finally rises! ;)

desertlap and JoeS like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

As many of you probably noticed yesterday, Surface Laptop 3 is confirmed by WinFuture.de to use AMD processors. Here is the tweet from one of their staff editors who broke the good news:
    Source:
    https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/1173225183232049153

Even though the leaks reveal Surface Pro 7 does not appear to be getting armed with AMD Zen-based processors (which, contrary to popular belief, do have extremely competitive idle and load power draw unlike its Bulldozer ancestry), an AMD-based Surface means better pricing across the board since Intel is now having to compete for Microsoft's business. As one user well put it on Reddit:

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m all in favor of that. I always felt the Surface Laptop was kind of the oddball in the Surface Line.....such a plain and boring laptop compared to the transforming nature of the Go, Pro, Book, and Studio. That make its perfectly suited to not only be the testing of AMD in a Surface, but also helps make the Laptop more distinctive of its own right. Like not the counting the Graphics Card in the Book 2......The Pro 6/Laptop 2/ and Book 2 are more or less the same device from a spec point of view (15w 8th gen cores)....only really differentiated by their form factor, so this should make the Laptop be able to stand on its own instead of in the shadow of its Surface brothers.

But that leak also says it’s going to be a 15incher......so is Microsoft no longer going to offer a 13 inch laptop? It could also mean that maybe Microsoft decided to significantly eliminate the Bezels this generation....enabling them to fit a 15 inch screen in a device frame closer to last gen’s 13incher.....effectively making a new 13incher redundant.

8. sonichedgehog360

They simply don't know yet. Only the information about the 15-inch model went public. What they said about the 13-incher is this:
    Source:
    https://winfuture.de/news,111154.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So some random thought and speculation on this aka. I have no idea if any of this is accurate....

1. MS has told us multiple times that "they were looking at extending the surface laptop line to a 15 inch model". They have also said that they have considered an "entry level gaming laptop" to compete with the HP Pavilion Gaming line and Acers Nitro line and others. Even though the current 15 inch surface book has a decent high mid range gaming capable chip in it, the form factor of the Book2 and a few of the other components such as the processor and audio chip, MS doesn't consider them true gaming class products

2.We've heard from reliable partner sources that the new Ryzen chips are a nice jump in performance with Ryzen 3 matching 9th gen mainstream core i5 levels and Ryzen 5 doing similar compared to mainstream core I7 chips.

3. We've also heard that cooling the Ryzen chips is still a significant challenge. Not nearly as big an issue as the a series such as the A10 but significant nonetheless.

4. Apple has always told us that the reason they have never put a high end core i7 chip or dedicated graphics in the MacBook Pro 13 is that they couldn't cool it properly and battery life was below optimum levels. I take that with a grain of salt however since I think it also serves Apples agenda by pushing you toward the 15 inch line which allegedly has better margins.

Again this is just my musings and distillation of recent info I have heard, so take it as such.

EDIT: I also agree that MS has another incentive to use AMD (and snapdragon for that matter) as leverage with intel, for better prices in the case of AMD and more power efficiency in the case of Qualcomm .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.