Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Black with everything. Even simpler.

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Back to the October event - @Steve S posted an interesting theory over in the Surface 7 thread - maybe MS skipped Thunderbolt 3 to go straight to USB-4. That would be a great development, but EVERYTHING I've been reading about the October event is that it is warmed-over meh with some processor upgrades - the real meat has been put off until next year (again - remember this time lat year and Mary Jo Foley's "heavily redesigned" Surface 6 for 2019) - narrow bezels, TB3/USB-4, and a ThinkPad X1 Yoga-style garaged pen are what is really needed and soon.

Panos, please drop the Apple playbook for making the Surface Pro even thinner (including a less than stellar keyboard cover).

3. dstrauss

I'll bet your closet look's like this...
    [​IMG]

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

My vote - and practice for years. In fact, in suits I never wear brown shoes - though I hear that's cooler lately - which I am not.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Once again, resemble that remark!

6. dstrauss

Mary Jo Foley (on Windows Weakly, I mean Weekly) doubled-down on her prior predictions about the Surface 7, and all her sources say USB-C for Surface, but NO THUNDERBOLT FOR YOU.

To me that means no Intel 10th Gen chips either, because TB3 is baked into the processor. And please, no apologists saying they are waiting on USB-4 - that is only a formal integration of TB3 into the USB-C form factor - EVERYONE except low end laptops has USB-C/TB3 (generally TWO) hanging off their laptops. I keep hoping she is wrong, but if there is no TB3, MS is circling the drain of hardware OEMs...

How is it I can get a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or Yoga with TWO TB3 (USB-C), TWO USB-A, 4G LTE, and HDMI - butt Microsoft, the architect of Windows, can't accomplish this...(pun intended)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    lovelaptops and djas like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...maybe MS skipped Thunderbolt 3 to go straight to USB-4. That would be a great development, but EVERYTHING I've been reading about the October event is that it is warmed-over meh...>>

...Unfortunately, I think the probability of Microsoft actually doing this is slim to none; it was just a pipe dream. Having tried to integrate a bleeding edge processor on Surface Pro, and then suffering big consequences and blow-back, I think Microsoft took the experience to heart. Never again. Microsoft will eschew bleeding edge components and settle for parts that have been available long enough to be properly characterized. My guess is that in October we'll see, at best, Comet Lake processors and USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (or maybe 3.2) and that's about it. If some SKUs don't debut until the late Spring, maybe, maybe Ice Lake (but I'd be a little surprised)...

On USB-C, my guess is that Microsoft is waiting for USB-4 to firm up a bit more...
    (runs and hides behind concrete wall, waiting for the explosion...)

lovelaptops and nnthemperor like this.
  8. dstrauss

Like maybe 2024...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Close. But, no pin stripes.

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Biggest barrier to USB4 is potential power consumption by attached devices. I'm not sure how they will handle it. It's already an issue for Apple on the iPad pros with USB3 where you have about a 50-50 shot of a usb drive working with the soon to be released IOS 13