Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still hoping for a few surprises. Even though.....one specific low res leaked photo showed the Surface Pro 7 with what looked like a normal Pro5/6 Pen.......I do find it a little suspect that the High Resolution leaks didn't show it. That could just mean maybe the Pro's pen won't get updated at all.....but I'm hoping they do unveil a newer tricked out Pro Pen.

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows 10...

Windows 10x should have been 'Windows 10v'

The v, being the sign of opening a dual screen device.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Two hours to go! Quick, unfreeze your credit everyone.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Shoot, I'm having trouble trying to decide whether it's worth it to open a bag of microwave popcorn at this point...

dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. desertlap

and or short hand for Windows Vista..... Oh wait that didn't work out so well last time :p

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have been following Dieter since his PalmCentral days, and he is sometimes hit or miss, but I think he is on to something this time:

"The benefits of switching to ARM are manifold. The main one is battery life, which is often rated above 20 hours for a laptop. That’s substantially better than anything Intel currently has to offer. It also makes it significantly easier to add LTE options (and, presumably, 5G) to hardware. ARM processors also tend to run cooler than x86 processors, which frees up manufacturers to experiment with different (read: thinner and lighter) form factors.

So: longer battery life, easier cellular integration, and thinner devices. As nice as the Surface Pro can be, there is a limit to how much it can improve in those areas, and that limit’s name is x86."

AKA - Jobs demarcation between trucks and cars...

desertlap likes this.
  8. desertlap

exactly my thinking as well. And again Verge bashing aside I generally like Dieters columns

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

What I can say with certainty is ARM--both ARM Holdings and their licensees--is making an even stronger collective effort from the inside with their engineering manpower to topple Intel. Personally, I know of a professor of mine in college who used to work at Intel who was recently rehired by ARM Holdings to work in high performance testing. Contrary to what many may think, ARM processors can scale up just like x86 chips do. ARM and their partners are actively hiring the best minds to fine tune their microarchitecture to supplant Intel across all power targets and package configurations, from smartphones and servers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    wytn likes this.
  10. desertlap

I completely agree with you. ARM IS the future for mobile devices
    And to your point about scalability and performance, if you "unshackle" it from the current mainstream OS's you can truly see the potential.

We have a couple of devices where both power efficiency and top speed are both needed at different times. We ended up putting a custom version of Linux on them to achieve that.