Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, maybe the skinny version with the narrow bezels is actually the Surface Extra Pro, the new top of the line model! :)

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You know until read this again I kept missing the subtle differences in names such that we are ,I guess, now looking at 4 surface tablet enabled lines

So we now have I'm speculating in order of ascendance , Surface Go, Surface, Surface Pro and Surface Book.

I'm all for options in features and price points, but I think it's going to further confuse consumers and make it harder to choose.

That's just my opinion though, I'm sure MS knows more than me.....

It does make me wonder though if MS is really getting serious at trying to be a top tier PC hardware vendor. When you add the surface laptop and Surface Studio to the mix it starting to look like an actual brand.

wytn likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they were to try stuffing the 10th gen 10-15w i5 into frame of the Surface 7 Chasis.....it wouldn't explode....but the Thermals would be all over the place.....it would throttle like crazy giving erratic performance...also having a larger screen/thinner bezels would stress the battery more giving it worse battery life.

On the Windows end....off the top of my head...the slimmest Core i5 2-in-1 is the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 which packs a 7th gen 15w i5 into a 7.4 mm thick Frame....which is still fan cooled.

The next thinnest is the Samsung Tab Pro S at 6.3mm thick.....but that also has a 4-6w Core M without a fan.

The Current Surface Pro Generation is 8.5mm thick......Going by Samsungs example....if Microsoft switched the Pro to a 7.4 mm frame....they'd have to go all USB-C....and might only be able to offer in an i5 configuration. i7's do generate more heat and performance...the current i5 Pros are also Fanless....so I'd imagine slimming the Pro down to 7.4 would be possible, but might take options like an i7, Iris Graphics, or Fanless i5 off the table. There's also the matter of the kickstand.....all those factors lead to the current Pro still being 8.5mm. Just assuming at this point....I would guess the new Surface 7 is probably in the 6mm range of thinness....at that thinness....pulling off a bulit in kickstand would be an impressive engineering feat alone....but putting i5 power in that is still I think beyond the realm of practicality. Core M might be doable....but that wouldn't get the battery life of WOA.

nnthemperor and wytn like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I’ll note again that I saw no renders of the Go 2. Yet with its absence from what I was shown, that does not mean there is no Go 2. I simply received no information if there will be a Go 2 or not. Humorously, Brad Sams called the new Surface the “Surface Go Pro 7 LTE.” ;)

nnthemperor, wytn and Marty like this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's gotta be 10" or no deal. 12" is almost in the same territory as the SB and non portability.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

Agreed....between the 12 inch Pro.....the upcoming 12-13?ish Non Pro....and the 13/15 Laptop/Book......a Go any larger physically would be kind of redundant. However.....if they do Bezel reduce it.....they could probably get it to 11-ish inches....so long as the footprint doesn't enlarge, I'd be fine if they could engineer a bigger screen at the expense of the bezels.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

Few more rumors to the pile (since I'm googling every few hours....I'm sure something will leak before Oct 2nd)

https://thewincentral.com/more-leak...-i3-variant-no-surface-7-new-code-names-more/

So.....an i3 will be the lowest spec config......and not Core M.....I'd rather they save Core M for the GO 2 or other devices anyway.

But also if this rumor is true....the Redesigned Arm Variant will also go by the Surface "Pro" name instead of just Surface. Its just a naming thing....but I'm hoping that's not true.....all that will end up doing is confusing people. And from all accounts, it will so drastically different from the actual Pros....it really does need a separate name designation.

8. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It will be huge pleasent surprise if reduced bezel on 7 Pro model to the level closed to 11 iPad pro.

But I really doubt and think will do that only with Qualcomm surface model that I don't care at all.

But again without thunderbolt port I don't think would be interesting no matter if reduced bezel.

Also it's rime offer 256gb storage as entry level on pro 7.
    No more 128gb and that huge amount of money between 128 and 256 for God shake.

I wish Samsung introduced successor of galaxy book 12 with ice lake, thunderbolt and kickstand.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

efjay likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well if nothing else the volume of rumors is exceptionally high so they must be releasing something substantial...

As to the i3 versus m.. I'm wondering if its actually the same thing. In other words Intel might be doing what they did with earlier m series chips, where the m5 became a y series core i.

As to the GO 2. I'm wondering it if its coming, but just delayed and will be WOA specifically 8Cx based?