Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

:eek: DAMMIT! 10.5" is just perfect.

P.s. If M.S. REALLY wants to forge forward... they need a small form factor desktop that's pretty much a NUC in new clothes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But... Drop the Surface Book line. Make a SP7 and a 15" Sp7. The keyboard options would be the usual type cover as well as a solid cover with a dedicated GPU and extra battery.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Yoga Book is 10.6" ;-)

Would love to see the dual screen 8.9" device with a comet lake i5-y

Tams and WillAdams like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm late to the party (moving my daughter form Savannah GA to El Paso, before she heads to DC in September), and I make the mistake of checking the Windows Central report, and what do I see (certainly not "what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny rein-deer, with a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick):

Surface Laptop 3 - "USB-C outright replaces the Surface Connect "

Surface Pro 7 - "...USB-C in place of the Surface Connect port...Thunderbolt 3 is not expected to be part of the move to USB-C, however."

Surface Book 3
    - "It's unclear if the USB-C port already found on the Surface Book 2 will be updated with Thunderbolt 3 support. Considering rumors say the Laptop and Pro lines won't be getting Thunderbolt 3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Book 3 doesn't get it either."

And THIS underwhelming information is under the first category of "Likely to be Announced"

They may as well add back a a 25 pin RS-232 and parallel port and claim victory...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the only change I would be interested is bringing thunderbolt support (2 ports), reduce bezels significant to the level 11 inches iPad pro 11 and bring Ice Lake 10nm cpu( and why not dedicated gpu at least one variant for the surface pro ) and not Comet Lake build at 14nm once again.

And seems non of this gonna happen so simple pass.

Goodnight MS and sweet dreams!!

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    YVerloc, nnthemperor and lovelaptops like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given that they've decided that scrolling is more important than text selection / manipulation, it's pretty obvious that they're catering to the lowest common denominator of consumers, and that folks who actually want to do productive work should look elsewhere:

https://github.com/TheJoeFin/Windows10-Community/issues/17

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Oh well, I guess consumer choice was an overrated concept from the 20th century. Monopolies and mediocrity are so much less bother. Kind of like only wearing black socks so that's one less decision you have to make in the morning. Only device decisions left: do I get the 11" iPP or the 12.9"? Space Gray or Black? (Don't get me started on protective cases, or keyboards :mad:)

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Not sure I wish them sweet dreams; they've more earned some nightmares re: Google and Amazon cleaning their clock in cloud services :cool:

nnthemperor likes this.