Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, a couple more thoughts on all this.

We know that MS ultimate goal is windows licenses and associated services such as office, one drive etc.

Additionally MS doesn't have a full response yet to Apple Arcade or Google's Stadia. Especially in the case of Arcade, it's another fantastic lock-in to the Apple Garden.

I think it's possible that MS would release a range of devices starting with the 1K price point, but nothing should stop them from making it a product line with a cutting edge device sitting at the top too. AMD in this case provides lower prices at one end and potentially higher performance and flexibility at the other end. In other words I could see an announcement like the new "Surface Game" with hardware and software subscription service like Apple's arcade.

So as caveat to all of the above, this is very much my guessing and speculation. I do however base it at least partly on what I've heard from MS employees. And as a caveat to that previous sentence , I've said before that MS rarely speaks as one voice and it's common for example for the surface team to say one thing Tuesday and the OS team to almost completely contradict them on Thursday.

It makes working with them always challenging and honestly if it was anybody else we'd probably not do it, but with MS we really don't have a choice.

PS: If they do something like this I hope they don't call it Surface Game as that would be an awful product name IMHO.

PPS: The only way a 15 inch would make sense in the market now would be as a consumer device. In corporate, a 13 inch device is utterly dominant. From what I know, the only company that still sells 15 inch laptops in to business in any numbers is Apple with the MacBook Pro 15. But they are the exception that proves the rule.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I just want thunderbolt on Surface Pro.... I've been using a Lenovo X1 Tablet 3rd Gen; and it is basically Surface Pro; but has thunderbolt and it does everything I want; eGPU capability is nice; except it is still just a bit too big. If microsoft did nothing else but add thunderbolt to the Surface Pro 7; I'd come back.

sonichedgehog360, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just because a benchmark was done for the 16GB model.....doesn’t mean there won’t be a 32GB model. That being said....I think if Microsoft does offer that kind of Ram option....it would be more likely to the Book instead of the Pro.

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  6. desertlap

Ultimately depends on the chipset. All of the 10th gen intel processors except the low end y-series support 32GB and some of the higher end ones support larger configurations than that.

Same thing applies to the Ryzen. Both the 5 and 7 series support 64GB I believe.

7. darkmagistric

Just because it’s supported doesn’t mean it will be offered. My rational for thinking Microsoft wouldn’t offer 32GB for the Pro is because they always placed the Book as the higher powered option of the Surface Line. Factoring both pricing and physical space concerns.....if would be more feasiable for Microsoft to offer 32-64GB for the Book 3 and Studio 3.

8. darkmagistric

Im more concerned with the thermals. Having gone from a rather noisy fan Pro 3.....to a Fanless i5 Pro 5.......I really hope the Pro 7 i5 (and maybe even the i7) can remain fanless.

9. desertlap

No you are absolutely correct on that and in fact there are sometimes good reason for limiting that, including things like power consumption as well.

EDIT: In that same vein, I think the bigger issue was if they are replacing the surface connector with a more open standard like TB3. We are seeing increasing momentum for that especially with the integration of USB4 and TB

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Failure to adopt TB3 on the Surface line will be the kiss of death. They are already way overpriced (just like Apple) compared to the competition (eg - the ThinkPad X1 Yoga is an excellent build and outfitted device) and offering lesser internals will be the end of the line for Surface. They are supposed to be aspirational and inspirational, not ho hum...

Think what could have been if the Surface Book was joined together by TB3 and not the Surface Connector - a small USB-C charger would make the Clipboard a truly usable device.