Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I cant really see them doing that for a monitor....since for Desktop Purposes....multi monitor setups would be more useful with a full screen instead of a half. The ZenBook Pro Duos allure is that fact that it offers a multi monitor solution in the most portable/space saving way possible. However I could totally see Microsoft doing their own Spin on the ZenBook Form Factor. With either the Surface Laptop 3 or the Surface Book 3. I can just imagine how cool that would be for the Surface Book. Basically a Zen Book with a detachable top screen.

Or a potential Surface Monitor could instead be envisioned more as a portable solution. Like a USB-C portable monitor in the 15 inch range.....like the perfect accessory to a Surface Pro 7 or Book 3.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dave2D talks about a NEW 15" Surface Laptop 3:

So...I hope that's not the "big reveal" (in lieu of a SB3), because man, I didn't think my hype could get any lower for this event. :(

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sounds incredibly underwhelming. GO-2 M3 LTE will suffice for me. Bring it on.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That looks like it might be the low end gaming laptop that has been rumored for awhile now.

As to the "surface monitor" with the second display it's an interesting idea but it strikes me as a bit too niche unless they add some unknown new functionality. Several years ago when Adobe "premiered" Premier there was a company (I think it was LG but not sure) that showed a prototype like that which specifically was for the various toolbars in Adobe apps, but as far as I know, It never became a real product.

OTOH, I've already seen a use like that with Macs/Ipads and sidecar but again kind of kludgy.

Agree though that if this 15 " is the "one more thing" on October 2, ill be very disappointed

5. Marty

So I'm starting to not understand the Surface line of late. Have you heard anything from the engineers about Surface stopping being halo products for the industry?

What's the point of releasing yet another thin 15" gaming laptop into the market? At this point, it just seems like they are competing directly with their OEM partners.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...The moment the oems released machines with ChromeOS (or whatever it's called at this moment)...

sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks David2D (and @Marty) - David's final observation on the 15" Surface Laptop 3:

"...entry level mediocre performance device that I think is going to look really nice..."

Does that not get your tech juices flowing for the big October 2 reveal...

PS - now to temper my snark, Rubino and Zach Bowden promised a 90% chance of a Centaurus reveal - well, they walked that back to at "least mention, and for sure talk of the Core software" but emphasizing dual screen, not a folding screen (which I think is good given display technology today).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    YVerloc and nnthemperor like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I had to guess, you could make the argument that the current OEM partners aren't making the right choices in a low end gaming laptop and that this is MS opportunity to do so.

That was the mission with the Surface laptop generally speaking to, e.g to define what a $1000 mainstream laptop should be.

One thing I can think of right off the bat is that none of the $1k gaming laptops have touchscreens. OTOH given that MS seems lately to be backing away more and more from touch, I don't know.

Again my $.02

9. Marty

No, sounds more like something the MacBook Pro fanboys get wet over. :p

Is that really the rumored price point? The 13.5" model already sits at $1K base. Even so, I can't imagine the engineers are terribly excited to be working on just a 15" ultrabook. (Yes, just ultrabook. I'm sorry MS, without a discrete GPU, nobody's going to buy the 'gaming laptop' moniker. :p)

I mean, why not spend that effort on improving the SB 15" and bringing the price down to something affordable. Can you imagine how much a $1500 1660Ti SB3 would shake up the industry?

Now that would the juices flowing. :D

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019