Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Truthfully, CPU performance is the least thing I'd care for. My 15w Dual Core i5 in my Pro 5 is still pretty speedy as is. While 9th/10th gen would of course be a nice update...for most of my workload I probably couldn't tell the difference.

I'm more interested in a design update....reduced bezel (which would give either a smaller footprint or larger screen), Faster screen refresh (ala Ipad Pro) thinner/lighter overall, new and better pen, new thermals (like fanless i7), better integrated graphics in the Pro, (Iris or better) and of course ports. USB-C is long long overdue.....that should have been in the Pro 5 all things considered.....but hopefully thunderbolt 3 as well. And ideally more then one USB-C port. Preferably one on each side of the device. Also improvements to the powered USB-ports. I have a portable Blue Ray player and harddrives that my Pro 3's usb A couldn't power, and neither could my Pro 5. USB-C alone should fix that....but still it would be nice if they gave the effort to specially fix shortcomings with it.

Even with the GO, one of my biggest complaints about its USB-C port is that none of Samsung USB-C chargers and batteries could charge the damn thing...which wouldn't be so glarring an issue if the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 (which has a more powerful CPU) couldn't do the same. Given how prevalent USB-C chargers are nowadays, its rather folly in my opinion for them to prevent that usage. Even if it charges slower, better it charge at all instead of not at all.

But if this Pro 7 ends up being the same Base Pro 3-6 design, with a new pen, new CPU, and just a single USB-C (non TB3) replacing the mini-display port, I will be very disappointed.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I resemble that remark...

Still, I am having problems seeing problems with the X1 Yoga, even compared to my hypothetical dream Surface Pro 7 configuration. Granted, Ice Lake with Iris Graphics outshoots an 8th gen 8665 with 620 graphics, but the STYLUS SILO, bigger screen, ssd, and more ports than needed, for a 1 pound premium, that's a tough call.

You know what I miss most at this point - a TRUE successor to the Asus Note 8 - THAT's what I really see as my mobile note taking solution. Even the iPP11 is a touch big in this regard.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think with all the talk about windows lite or core OS, they should revisit the 8" windows tablet once again. I'll buy in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tams, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Think iPad Mini 5 size device with 90% screen to bezel, an S-Pen and silo, LTE...yum...

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Core OS on a smaller tablet would make too much sense, MS will never do it.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Long overdue ... not a chance.

As the say in New Orleans, "true dat".

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm....just to add more conjecture to our Oct 2nd dumpster fire of Surface hopes and dreams.....given the unveiling of the Surface Studio (Monitor only) Clone by Sefree.....I'm gonna put my speculation out there and call it that Microsoft will be unveiling a Surface Monitor on Oct 2nd. This event is being touted to unveiling new product lines in addition to updates to the existing products. With the dual screen device being more of a tease.....a ready to go Surface Monitor would technically fill the role of a new Product line in the Surface family. And it would probably be a safer bet for them from a production sense since they already have the production formula down pat thanks to the Studio.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Granted it's a wild guess, but looking at the Zen Book Duo Pro I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a Studio M(onitor) came with an extra screen, kind of like a fold out door to one side. That would enable one place for all the tools, be it video editing or Adobe CC, to be accessible yet outside the canvas.

darkmagistric likes this.