Microsoft Announces October Surface Event

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2019.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Assuming they don't power starve or thermal limit them, that bodes well for a nice performance bump.

OTOH, that might mean no TB3. But even that's not clear as I believe that the licensing sharing that AMD and Intel agreed upon awhile back includes thunderbolt, but i'm not certain of that. So far no AMD systems that I'm aware of have had TB in them.

Can't wait for October 2

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

At first, we were prepared to be unimpressed with anything short of revolutionary changes to the Surface line. Microsoft has seemed to spark interest however with incremental changes to the Go and the Surface Laptop. There are quite a few of us waiting for October 2nd.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I’m eagerly awaiting October 2nd as well. I feel Microsoft really needs a substantial update to their line this time around. The Pro 6/laptop 2 were so marginally incremental, they were almost a joke. Also in November I’m starting a 6 month coding bootcamp......I have my Pro 5 which should suffice for that.....but I’m considering a new device entirely for the bootcamp. Very much contemplating trading both my Pro 5 and my Go into the Microsoft Store towards a Pro 7 should it be a significant enough upgrade. Also contemplating the ZenBook Pro Duo since it looks utterly perfect for coding. I’m personally hoping Microsoft wows me enough to keep me in the Surface camp....but if it’s another mouse fart of an update like the Pro 6.....ASUS may end up winning me over.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

One concern I see expressed often is the jump or increase of performance making it worth it or sealing the deal. If they go with a very ho-hum 14nm Comet Lake processor rather than 10nm Ice Lake as Computerbase rumored, I will be among the Surface faithful who will sadly be holding out until Surface Pro 8. However, I am more convinced that, on the other hand, it will be none other than Ice Lake, not Comet Lake, that will used which offers a decent jump in graphics performance, not to mention significant increases in performance all around. The number one source of evidence for this is when we saw about a couple Surface-esque codified performance results slip onto Geekbench, something typical of a few months before the launch of Surface products, making it all the more believable. Ice Lake has performance that is nothing to be sneezed at, especially if you take a good look at what PC Perspective found in their latest three-way head-to-head comparison. I, for one, do not think Microsoft would stream a live event with their CEO present if they did not have full confidence in a spectacular array of products all across the board.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Surely it is guaranteed because I bought that used ThinkPad X1 Yoga yesterday!

7. desertlap

Well how's this for a rumor...

We have an MS source that will remain nameless, but has been pretty accurate in the past and his take is it's all of the above. i.e we ill see comet lake, ice lake and AMD processors dependent on the model line in question

AMD for the Surface Laptop, Ice Lake for the Surface Pro and Comet Lake for a new device(s). He also said that this going to be one of the bigger launches in years and he wouldn't buy anything until after October 2. Here's hoping.......especially for an Ice lake surface pro with smaller bezels (the last may be a stretch)

8. sonichedgehog360

It ain't called dstraussing for nothing! :p

I gotta really wonder who this undisclosed, nameless source is. ;)

Good news! Since the AMD CPU (Ryzen 9 3950X) I was going to get for my desktop this month has been delayed until November, I'll definitely be getting the i7 Ice Lake Surface Pro 7 in October. I totally can't wait!

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There recently was an AM4 motherboard released with TB3, the X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3, so we know TB3 definitely compatible with the Ryzen 3000 chipset. If MS is ditching the Surface Connector (big if), there's no reason why they couldn't include a TB3 enabled USB-C port.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. desertlap

I had not read about that mobo, but that's good news.

The surface connector was great for it's time, but it's not aging well. For instance with the Book 2 15 under full load, the computer draw more power than the surface connector can deliver.

Plus an open standard is almost always better than a closed proprietary one (though Apple seems almost exempt from that......lightning)

And BTW: I haven't heard any substantive talk of WOS, even a go based one. I wonder if that is related to the fact that Samsung still hasn't announced an official ship date for the Book S