Microsoft announced a budget NTrig/MPP pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Which tablet and Pen combination will u prefer for classes and reading?

1. iPad 2018 + Pencil

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. A budget 4GB ram Windows notebook + Microsoft classroom pen

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, we all wish MS hadn't cheaped out and gone for Ntrig, but that train has left the station long ago. I still think the MPP and AES pens have also come a long way, and that OP's post was overly exaggerated.
    And, for all it's great spen implementation, the GN 8 & 9 are almost useless inking devices because of the way the curved screens really restrict your writing real estate.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why not a GalaxyBook?
    RESPECT:thumbsup:

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The Galaxy Book 12 (not talking about the newest ARM based model) does have a great Wacom EMR digitizer. However, for me, the origami keyboard case is a nightmare. The keyboard part is ok, but the stand portion was always falling down for me, whether in typing mode or note taking mode. The Surface and HP Elite kickstands (whether solid or bails) are vastly better for using the device. Also, like almost everything Samsung, firmware updates are nearly unheard-of.

If Samsung does release a Galaxy Book 12 Pro this year (same shell as the new GB2 but with 16gb RAM, at least 512gb SSD, Win10 Pro, Intel "Y" processor or better), my AMEX will bleed again.

darkmagistric and soh5 like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

siddhartth likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have a simpler solution...

BUY WACOM!

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I fully agree, I used to draw on my Note 5 all the time.....but with my Note 8.....the curved edges and more narrowing of the display make it annoying enough....its not even worth it honesty.

And I also have to agree....N-trig/MPP has def come a long way starting with the Pro 5 Gen. Sadly it sucks when other "Since then" devices like the Go can't say the same.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

Have to admit...the Pro 5 pen with the Pro 5 (and up) doens't really have lag.....I guess overall its a bit slower....but I'm not really sure I would classify it as lag....even the hovering speed is relatively fixed. Using the Pro 3/4 pens or any of the 3rd party pens like the Wacom Ink Pen with the Pro 5 or 6....that's are a different story.

I honestly can't image how they could make the pen itself any more accurate....from tip to cursor its as accurate as any digtial pen could possible be. Where it loses it luster a bit is when you sketch really fast zoomed out....thats when Accuracy starts to go out the window. Way better with the 5th gen Pen then previous ones, but thats really the only true flaw left with the Pro 5 & up flavor of MPP.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

Any interest I had in a potential GB 12 PRO were kind of ruined by the ARM GB2. As much as the Origami keyboard sucks in comparison to a built in kickstand/detachable keyboard solution.......the GB Book 10 & 12 had freaking perfect pen performance, what ever real difference exists between current S-Pen tech and Wacoms Pro Pen 2 is really well within the realm of seriously diminished returns.

But the Magnets in the GB Book 2 made the pen performance an utter mess.....given how long Samsung has been working with EMR almost near exclusively...I'm really surprised and upset they choose to put insanely strong magnets in an EMR based device where strong magnets are a serious weakness to the pen..... As much as we all hated the Origami cover......it might have been the lesser evil.

siddhartth and nnthemperor like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

This is interesting to me and not something I've experienced directly. Can you elaborate a bit on exactly how the pen is affected? Disclosure here is that I'm far from an artist and my use of the pen is much more casual (markups, doodle, highlighting etc. )
    Thanks!