Microsoft announced a budget NTrig/MPP pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Which tablet and Pen combination will u prefer for classes and reading?

1. iPad 2018 + Pencil

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. A budget 4GB ram Windows notebook + Microsoft classroom pen

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My handwriting with the Surface Pen is adequate. When I need to convert to text, I can. I do find that I am more deliberate in my writing with NTrig. With the S-Pen in my note 5, writing is effortless and mindless. No question but that it is the superior technology.

I just don't use the Go anywhere near as much as I do my Note 5. The Note 5 is like having a spiral memopad with me all the time. I can't count the number of thoughts that I've captured with my note, just because I could bring it to bear immediately and because jotting down the idea was so effortless. Folding devices are going to have to come a long way to compete with this.

The Go is very different. When I'm traveling, the Go has to come out of its case, has to be turned on and the software launched. In order to motivate me to do this, I have to be intending to do some serious writing. Much of the time, it's easier to just type it in. I am probably twice as fast with the keyboard as I am with a pen. Maybe that's why, when I do use the Go, it's primarily for annotation, not freehand writing as such. So, for my use, I am perfectly happy with the Go's pen. It's adequate.

I'm even warming to the magnetic attachment. It's strong enough to work and, with my Maroo case, I just put the Go inside the case with the pen attached. It stays in place and is protected until I remove it (it comes our attached as well). I would like a cap for the tip, but I can live with this. As long as my note 5 pen is in a silo.

I am very happy with my current combination of Go and Note 5. It does everything I need. The Go was a near perfect upgrade from the Surface 3. It could have had more battery life and a touch more power, but I find it serviceable for now and I am hoping that the design continues to evolve, like the Pro.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

With my aging memory, I ought to be full on board with this, it's just hard to remember what device @Bronsky uses????

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I know that I must sound like a broken record these days. It's just that I'm so damn satisfied with my current set up that I find it hard to be a critic.

nnthemperor and djas like this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've been using N-trig pens exclusively since the Surface Pro 3 with the exception of the pen with my One Mix 2S which is so much worse than N-trig.

My handwriting looks like my normal writing and I probably take more ink notes than most. YMMV but I'm very happy with my SG..

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

If you havent tried EMR from Wacom and think Ntrig is good enough, you clearly dont understand how great the S-Pen feels.

Ground beef to rib eye.

Vokswagon Jetta to an Audi

Thrift Store clothing to designer clothing.

It works but it's just not the same.

siddhartth and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still object to this comparison. :p

Ground beef is not a substitute for rib-eye!

7. dstrauss

Neither is N-Trig for Wacom EMR...:rolleyes:

8. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa! Dale not mincing words (or chopped liver) ;)

siddhartth likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm going back to weighing in on the EMR side. I have done without EMR for 2 years now and live with AES and MPP. Guess what happened? I drastically reduced my handwriting usage on devices! I couldn't agree more with those who say their handwriting doesn't look like their handwriting (using pen/paper as the comparison) on non-EMR digitizing. I get @Bronsky completely that the Note 5 is like having a spiral memo pad and I don't think it would be nearly as convenient if it was a struggle to form legible characters using it. I happen to have arthritis and my hand/finger strength and dexterity isn't what it used to be, but I think the idea behind penabled computing is that writing on a screen is very close to writing on paper. And digitizing/searching One Note files is far more hit/miss with Ntrig digitizers. My usage of digital pens is increasingly reduced to markups of documents, etc. because I have chosen devices for their other traits, not for the handwriting capabilities, and I may be making the right choices for my use cases - word to the younger: handwriting deteriorates with age - not even counting with arthritis, only a recent event in my life - so that alone suggests that those who wish to use penabled devices to write legibly enough to digitize and, frankly, smooth and clearly enough to read one's own handwriting as our hands, er, "mellow," suggests the battle cry: long live EMR (I don't believe there will ever be enough radiation generated by these suckers to poison our world - so show me the error of my ways if I've got it all wrong!)

One last point, writing on a Samsung 9 with a Stadlaeter Norris, Dell active or comparable pen (but really, I could make do fine with an S Pen stick until RA hit) is such a lovely, comfy experience and the results are so satisfying that it's the closest I came to feeling like an artist. Writing with any other digitizers/pens takes the joy out of it and makes it a chore, especially when you have to train yourself to have "muscle memory" to form legible characters and even then, it doesn't feel good doing so and doesn't look very good, even if the OCRs can translate it.

Long live EMR - or, for cryin out loud, does MS really lack the bucks to make MPP work close to as well? The (non) Master has spoken. :vbrolleyes:

10. dstrauss

That was a Masterful line old friend. I really don't understand the intricacy of how these things work, but there is one thing for certain - there is NO N-Trig/AES nib that is 10% as nice on glass as the S-Pen, Big S-Pen, and Norris Steadtler. It is just plains stupid how they are all so hard, inflexible, and HARD - it is that friction/feel of the EMR nib on glass that is so satisfying...

DRTigerlilly and Azzart like this.