Microsoft announced a budget NTrig/MPP pen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by siddhartth, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Which tablet and Pen combination will u prefer for classes and reading?

1. iPad 2018 + Pencil

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. A budget 4GB ram Windows notebook + Microsoft classroom pen

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This story is all over my news feed. To challenge the dominance of budget chromebooks. Microsoft is partnering up with Tabletpc/notebook makers to gain marketshare in cheap education notebook market. And has released a compatible pen with them.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/22/...assroom-pen-chromebook-challenge-devices-2019

My only worry is that Microsoft's poor NTrig implementation of pen technology will scar so many children for life and permanently drive them and their schools away from pen technology. Adonit and Vaio both have come up with much better NTrig pens than Microsoft's premium pen offerings. This classroom pen is an even more compromised version of the existing Surface pen. Without an IAF that is near zero, it will cause those hands to fatigue even faster. As bad as the ergonomics of the Apple pencil are, it remains still the best AES based stylus.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not an artist, just a scribbler. However, if judging from my experience with the SG, I'd say you couldn't be more wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am not wrong, and the hardware that these kids will buy would not be Surface go. Apple Pencil and Wacom EMR like IAF that is nearing zero is super essential. Even, the biggest hardware manufacturers like hp, DELL, Samsung have come to realise that. They are giving EMR with every product that is purpose built for Hand-writing or Art. And they are just throwing in AES in those products where they have to provide a pen just to tick a box and match up with the competition. Except Apple Pencil, every AES technology is still in development phase and are strictly meant for consumers who don't have to do much more than marking up Pdfs. And Microsoft and these hardware makers, who are well aware that the tech is not ready yet, have decided just to make a quick buck from Parents and Students who don't know any better. I donot consider students as consumers, they have the profession of Studies and academics, they just don't gey paid for it. They have to do long hours of reading and writing every day. Sometimes, for more than 10 hours every day just to go through the study/research material. I am sure even you will agree, non reflective screens (like those dream colour displays on hp zbook x2/iPadPro and not the grainy displays that you find on Cintiqs) and felt nibs are a must for any machines that are purpose built for academics. What most students dont need is 8000 levels of pressure and thick bezels.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm going to take a middle ground here. I am far from an artist, but I do use a stylus/pen on multiple devices including a surface go, surface book 2 and an iPad Pro and find it an essential tool on each. And my personal opinion is that the various differences are real, but something that only the more hardcore users (but the majority here on TCPR) are the ones that can tell/care.

What I applaud here is the push to make them more widely available/adopted. The tyranny of the mouse, while it is one of the most versatile input devices ever invented still imposes a specific workflow/usage which is not always the best fit.

I can speak for myself when I say that a stylus/pen changed the way I worked years ago (around one of HP's first units to ship with one). My daughter is someone else who considers a pen/stylus a required feature on any system she uses.

And full disclosure, I can detect differences though not enough to make them a deal breaker, but if I had to pick a single favorite, it would actually be on a device/system I don't own which is Samsung's S-Pen

DRTigerlilly, siddhartth and batty like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with @desertlap on this one, although a little more firmly in the S-Pen camp. I've been using Windows tablets since the HP TX2000 (2008 or 2009), and all of the non-Wacom EMR pens are roughly the same - over time some better than others; is Wacom AES better than N-Trig - sometimes. But you are NOT going to get widespread adoption of Wacom EMR anymore. Don't know if it's cost or Wacom/Samsung hording the best for themselves, but it's also true that those of us on this forum are a small minority and for most folks Wacom AES/N-Trig i s"good enough" to most folks who are not artists and just everyday users with some note-taking and markup interest.

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

I inked literally thousands of words per work day on Surface 3 with a 1st Gen Surface Pen 256. No hindrance, no issues. Nothing. For me, what poor implementation are you talking about?

I was also for 3 years was using a GTA8SP for note taking and annotating and am now using a Note 5.

I sometime borrow the Mrs iPP to inked on our family shared ON notebook with the Pencil.

There are no differences for me.

Oh, wishing everyone the best of Chinese New Year. It is going to be a literal ghost town in my country for the next week or so.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Happy New Year as well. I think Lisa (@MobileTechReview ) has said it best in almost all of her reviews - for note taking, most all of these systems are "more than good enough" and only serious amateur/professional artists will develop specific preferences, mostly falling on the Wacom EMR side for maximum precision.

I'm an avowed Wacom EMR SNOB, but have to admit that my chicken scrawling doesn't deserve much in the way of precision to keep my notes. I will qualify that, however, with the Apple Pencil 1 - where several judges have chastised me for that noisy "tap tap tap" of the pen point on glass when printing.

When you boil it all down, my only legitimate beef is that they need to miniaturize the AES technology to a siloed stick that will fit a phone profile (i.e. - even smaller than the Lenovo AES rechargeable sticks)...

nnthemperor and artistebot like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I feel it's only good enough b/c they haven't been exposed to anything else....
    but i get your point....

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Ground beef is pretty good if you've never tried ribeye too...

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

lol