Microsoft and Wacom enter a deal to create 'dual protocol pens' for Windows 10 PCs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

they're talking about hardware , so the new pen wacom make will works on N-trig tablets and Wacom AES tablets

the software support have been there for years , the issue now is with hardware confusion , even OEM and retailers can't understand which pen support which device

the other thing that this new pen can bring is the top button that with the next update will be used to activate the ink workspace

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If your conjecture is correct, then prepare to rebuy all your Surface pens, lol. Wacom load cell pressure assembly is still noticeably better than N-Trig's.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Back watching BUILD now as I type to see if Daniel Rubino at Windows Central did not mistake hardware protocol for software protocol.

It is true! Also, the below tweet as cited in this SurfaceProArtist.com article reconfirms it.

https://twitter.com/broper00/status/715210335540477953?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Here is the official spiel from Microsoft on the forthcoming universal pen:

"By combining Windows Ink technology, learnings from Surface and Wacom DNA into a high quality writing instrument built for Windows Ink, customers have an easy choice when they need an accessory pen. Customers should expect the pen to be available at retailers like Best Buy this holiday season."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/03/30/the-future-of-pen-windows-ink/

My, am I glad I did not spring on a more pricey Core M tablet a couple months ago. If these new pens combine the best of the Surface (N-Trig) and Wacom AES technologies, this could be a home run for Windows tablets. Surface 4, Surface Pro 5, and Surface Book 2 will have an even larger range of pens to pick from, just like the rich variety we had in EMR.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. alisaad619

I also read wacom news release for the share holder, and they said that it's hardware and it'll be out by the holiday season 2016

now each store can get this wacom pen and don't bother by the OEMs craziness

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I hope so. I also hope that there will be supercapacitor pens among them. I am super reluctant to leave battery-less pens behind, and supercap tech would be a superior choice to batteries.

If this pans out, it basically takes away the last thing I was hesitant about with Vaio's offerings. Which... isn't super great news for my wallet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Reading through the investor literature provided by Wacom, I have to say, this all sounds suspiciously like the USI, but re-labeled under Wacom branding.

I wonder if it's clever marketing on Wacom's part in an effort to maintain an elite status in the industry, or if it's simply that they are genuinely more enthused and invested in creating a universal stylus solution and thus the branding just naturally falls to them to define because nobody else is doing anything with it.

-Or if this is some parallel/intermediate solution they're racing out the door in an effort to stay on top, or perhaps squeeze in one more product cycle before USI lands in earnest and they provide another pen format for 2018 (or whenever).

Whatever the case, it's about time for this tree to bear some fruit! As it is, Christmas 2016 is a long way off.

stormi and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. alisaad619

I think the universal branding because if a pen support n-trig and wacom AES then it's basically universal for pen enabled windows tablets, they cover 90%+ of the devices

now OEMs have a reason to only choose between wacom AES and n-trig, no one will choose synaptic or atmal even for cheap devices

also now OEMs don't need to bother creating there own pen, they can just bundle the Wacom pen or just say that they are compatible with it.

This is another step that get us closer to making pens like Bluetooth mouses

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope that they do better on the Wacom AES support than they did on the Bamboo Smart for select 2-in-1 devices. Still annoyed that I was so stupidly optimistic as to import one from Japan.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

One key difference with "USI 2.0." Now, Microsoft is onboard. They were the only major manufacturer besides Apple to not openly support USI. As a reminder, everyone else from Synaptics and Wacom to Dell and Lenovo were behind it 100 percent.

The thing was, besides drawing up a generic device specification, they were not going anywhere. Now with Microsoft leading the charge, we have real products planned. I cannot wait to see the final result of the first iteration of products!

Utan-chan, Selofain and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.