Microsoft and Wacom enter a deal to create 'dual protocol pens' for Windows 10 PCs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

original story link
    http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...otocol-pens?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

a quote
    "
    Earlier today during the Microsoft Build Keynote one announcement was accidently missed by Bryan Roper due to time constraints. Microsoft and Wacom have entered a licensing deal in which Wacom will make so-called 'dual protocol pens'. That wording translates to one thing: digital pens that will work across digitizing technology from Microsoft and Wacom.

The long term goal is that users can buy a range of pens for computers at various price points, but yet do not have to concern themselves with the technology behind it.

No timeline was announced, but soon you will be able to have a pen for your Surface tablet that also works on any Wacom device and vice versa."

my comment , this will be amazing and I think it'll target wacom AES and N-trig pens , this is the closest thing we will have to a universal digital pen

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So does that exclude Wacom EMR? Seems to me that the technology in that pen is the easiest to duplicate. Would love to have a pen that worked on my Surface, Encore and Galaxy Note.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. alisaad619

wacom EMR almost disappeared from windows tablet devices , so since dual pen will be launched in a few years there're no need to invest in wacom EMR , if the pen support wacom AES and N-tirg it will support more than 90% of pen enabled windows tablets launched in 2015 and 2016

thankfully atmal and synaptic pen are being abandoned by OEMs ( i think because wacom AES is cheap )

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So it's "Let bully the 2014 devices" that rules. Too bad.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

5. alisaad619

I have a theory

this might not be a dual tech pen (it might not be technically possible) , it might just be a wacom AES pen made by microsoft , why ?

microsoft today announced the windows ink workspace (a side panel that have sticky notes , sketchpad , pen apps , and link to special pen apps section at the store) it's a call feature coming in the July windows 10 update , but how do you enter this panel ? you press the pen top button (something that only the surface have) so microsoft now will create a Surface pen that is made for wacom AES tablets so they all can use the windows ink workspace feature

this will also solve a hardware ecosystem problem , since all of us suffer with the custom wacom AES pens that are made for each device , and usually they are not high quality , and sometimes they don't even sell you a replacement , so with the microsoft pen this can be solved

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Figures something like this would come up after I imported a Wacom 2-in-1.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What the F is going on, lol. I need to call my friends at Wacom and find out the real dirt.

Utan-chan and surfaceproartist like this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the press release:

http://investors.wacom.com/media/fi.../160331_Release_of_UPF_agreement_IR final.pdf

Wacom Co., Ltd announced today its Universal Pen Framework (UPF) initiative has entered a new stage with Microsoft Corp. licensing its Microsoft Pen Protocol to Wacom. In the near future Wacom’s digital pen solutions will incorporate both Microsoft Pen and Wacom Active ES Pen protocols, helping customers better take advantage of Windows Ink on Windows 10 devices.

Wacom is working to build pens that support both protocols, targeting delivery this holiday season at the end of 2016. “This is truly groundbreaking: now we have two leading pen protocols —by Microsoft and Wacom —that can be tapped on demand with a single pen,” said Masahiko Yamada, President & CEO of Wacom.

“Supporting multiple protocols makes our pen incredibly fast and easy for people to write intelligent notes, be creative, and get productive when using Windows Ink on their Windows 10 devices. As well as advocating the digital pen as a primary interface tool for mobile products and services, we also believe in the power of digital ink as a transformational medium. Digital ink can convey people’s creativity by enabling ideas to be capturedand shared over the cloud, while sustaining the evolution of those ideas. I’m looking forward to seeing how we can accelerate the emergence of digital stationery in collaboration with valued partners like Microsoft,” he added.

9. alisaad619

that's better than what I thought

it's actually a dual protocol pen and it's not that far away (holiday 2016)

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't get it. All their devices already can use both protocols. My Lenovo's AES operates without Wacom Wintab on many of the apps that uses MS protocol. How is this different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.