Microsoft Agrees to Expand Consumers’ Repair Options — As You Sow

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sonichedgehog360, Oct 7, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Steve S and Eltos like this.
  2. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

That would be amazing! And, really, they are already on that path with being able to remove the SSDs in the SP7+ and SP8...

It would also be one way they could really show up the fruit company.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How about a removable back or service door giving access to the SSD, replaceable RAM and the CPU?

Eltos, dstrauss, Tams and 1 other person like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

How about not using screws AND glue to attach the base of the SLS.. I have yet to see any videos, but apparently opening up a SLS is a harrowing experience.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I just assumed that we will never be able to easily swap in a display. There's a lot you can accomplish if you have access to the motherboard alone.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Agreed, but I was talking about detaching the lower half of the SLS base, which you have to do if you want to get to the SSD. No trapdoor here. Unfortunately there's glue involved, meaning the usual heatgun / hair dryer adventures. Scary stuff.

Edit: not quite as bad as that. There is no gobs of glue, just two plastic strips under the balcony :) that cover additional screws and screws in de rubber feet. Definitely some care needed with the battery cable, but it all looks doable.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That is undeniably stupid and so Apple-like of them. Hopefully this study makes mincemeat of clearly dumb design choices like this. Then again, I have little faith in Microsoft and worry this is just a marketing stunt to give the illusion that they care but really doesn't ever materialize into anything in their product designs like this. The funny part is how these companies talk out of both sides of their mouths, claiming to be carbon neutral yet are the biggest contributors to e-waste.

dstrauss, Steve S and Eltos like this.