Microsoft acquiring N-Trig?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Ed Hardy likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

MS will greatly improve it. N-Trig has long suffered from capital shortages. NTrig execs will probably take large bonuses and focus on their other products.

3. AmbiDextrose

I didn't think N-Trig had any other products aside from their pen technology. At least that's how it looks from their website.

In any case, Microsoft has had it's own patent portfolio in pen technology for a while. If Microsoft plays it's cards right, this may be the break we need for a serious competitor to Wacom, at least in the Tablet/TabletPC stage.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

N-Trig makes industrial controllers.

5. AmbiDextrose

But that's part of their Duo Sense technology. Duo Sense encompasses the pen electronics, the capacitive digitizer layer, and the controller chip.

With Microsoft buying Duo Sense whole hog, there not much left for N-Trig to do. And even if they have a non-Duo Sense controller (no pen involved), how will they distinguish themselves from the other players like Synaptics and Atmel?

Unless, of course, they create a new product category.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

From what I read another site the DVP8 uses N-trig tech or is it sensor for the front facing camera. I am not sure if this is correct or not.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just imagine if Microsoft ends up combining the N-trig technology with something like this:

Obviously I don't ever expect anything I see from Microsoft Research to ever be a near-term thing, but I think the opportunity to combine the proven pen tech they got from N-trig with some of the stuff the Research teams are looking into could be pretty cool.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  8. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

So, the Surface 3 doesn't pay patent royalties to anyone. Makes sense. (at least it looks this way. Part of the deal i would imagine). I'm a long time Wacom fan and N-trig basher, but the SP3 pen is actually ok, and it gets rid of the dreaded.....you know what ;) LOL

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the video posted by Joe, our old buddy Ken Hinckley was listed in the lead position. It's nice to know that Ken is still around. (Any one here remember InkSeine...?)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/inkseine/ Note: this application is obsolete; install at your own risk.

jnjroach likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hope springs eternal:

"At CES, I had a chance to visit with N-Trig and they have a lot of interesting pens coming to market, all with different tip feels and ergonomics. They even had a pen with a supercapcitor rather than a battery, which will give you a month’s charge on the pen in five seconds of charging." http://www.anandtech.com/show/9212/microsoft-acquires-pen-technology-from-ntrig-ltd

Oh, pretty pretty please Satya and Panos, give us a pen in a silo for Christmas this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.