Microsoft acquiring N-Trig?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a lot of denial going on here.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the long run quality prevails .
    eg surface RT was a well intended effort but in the end
    we all want quality ...and we are willing to pay for quality.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

My Yoga RT is quality when it comes to build, it's just that 2gb of ram and Tegra 3 cpu are pretty crappy when it comes to Windows. I was fine with it the first few months and even after the 8.1 update, but now daily I want to throw it out the window for just lagging, even when just typing in office. Not sure how the Tegra 4 in the Surface 2 or the Snapdragon S4 dual core in the Samsung Ativ RT compare, but Tegra 3 was/is the mistake imho.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I would say my N-Trig has been a much better experience then my last couple of Wacom Penabled (aka Feel) Tablets. So I think N-Trig has quality on par with Wacom.

5. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used a Samsung Slate, a Cintiq, and now the Surface Pro 3. (& Galaxy Note 2)

The Wacom devices seem to pick up more subtleties in my hand writing, but oddly I don't seem to notice it working on art. Probably just how I draw though, blocking in shapes more often than doing line work. The Cintiq detects the lightest touch, which is nice.

N-Trig is very accurate though. I love the feel of the aluminum pen and quiet nib. The Surface has much better pixel density than the Cintiq, and the sketchbook form factor has made me more productive. I know we aren't comparing to the Cintiq, but the fact that I prefer drawing on the Surface over Wacom's flagship product is quite a compliment to N-Trig.

If they increased the amount of sensors in the grid and reduced the initial activation force, it would be as good or better. This would pick up more nuances and get rid of the slow line jitter.

But hey I love Wacom too, so bring it on

Precurve and surfaceproartist like this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Am I the only one concerned more by the impossibility to reach the maximum pressure under normal conditions than the minimum activation force of the Ntrig pen?
    If it wasn't for Lazy Nezumi that makes me fine tun the pressure curve I would probably not be able to work decently in Photoshop, even with the crappy adjustments of the Surface Hub app.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I feel your paint @Azzart, but my issue is at the lower end of the pressure curve. My strokes jump too quickly from light to dark.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

This is the pressure curve I found woul be ideal for me to use in photoshop with the ntrig pen: Lazy Nezumi sadly can't make the upper part softer, so mine just finishes straight at the top instead of being a sort of S.
    What is annoying to me are those flashy marks you get when you press to much on the screen, they give me dizzyness after sometime, so I made the pen not needing much force to reach its maximum pressure.

The microsoft app lacks in the meaning you either have better behaviours in the bottom part of the curve or in the upper, not both. Anyway I keep it near the left edge, I think the third position, combined with the action of Lazy Nezumi gives me decent results.

One day I'll try changing position to have it near the right edge and modifying lazy nezumi pressure curve accordingly to see what I get...

Sp3-curve.jpg

9. ThorntonArtStudio.com

Pressure curve hasn't really bothered me, although I did make a tweak in the hub app.
    Most of the PS brushes I use just have flow set to pressure, not opacity, which is at 100%. Maybe easier to control on ntrig? No need to press hard for full opacity, just increase the flow or go back and forth over the mark a few times. Probably wouldn't work for everyone, and of course we're not just talking about PS. Although it feels fine for me in other apps, too, so I guess it just varies from person to person, style to style.

Like your illustrations Azzart

10. ThorntonArtStudio.com

Interesting, will have to try Lazy Nezumi again. Liked that you could hide the cursor in PS, but I didn't explore it enough during the trial.

Aren't there some glitches with SP3/ntrig? Don't remember what it was, but there is something right?

Also, maybe Zagg glass would get rid of the LCD pooling from hard pressure. I would have preferred thicker glass for sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.