Microsoft acquiring N-Trig?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem with use on a phone is size. N-trig uses a battery, and i don't know how it could avoid that. The special sauce of Wacom is that it is powered by the field on the screen, so no battery in the stylus.

With that said, I too hope that they find a way to have a stylus for their flagship phone. I sent a roomie my Note 3 today, and I'd really like a stylus based replacement soon.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

N-Trig has had a design on the drawing table for at least 2 years that I know of that puts a rechargeable battery in a thin pen that could fit in a silo for recharging.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ok, but would you want it to charge of the phone's battery?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Depends how much power draw the pen uses to charge, and if we can turn of the charging feature when we don't need it to be charging.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Just curious why you think this?

6. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

I think they were looking into super capacitors instead of rechargeable batteries.

7. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

In my opinion, this won't happen.
    Microsoft is by heart a software or service company, just like google. They can be involved in hardware but not the one selling it, in a sense being neutral.
    Otherwise their move wouldn't be buying stylus company but buying a assembling factory or oem and get the surface production done in house.
    Buying a stylus technology company isn't good at all with exception nokia mobile buy-out because nobody wanted to use windows phone with andriod/ios reign so nobody bloody care as their share of cake isn't compromised.
    Unlike phone tech, x86 is shared between oems (acer, asus, dell, etc). If they decided to monopoly the stylus, the stylus oem won't stand still.

This also reflected on Google move buying Motorola, all OEMs just like WTF and they sold it again with reason 'all the portfolio are kept' which is only half true.

They are not apple who are free to choose or buy hardware or company they want making it one of the reason why apple is one of the most successful company.
    Although I don't like their pricing.

8. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

It is too much to spend for that company but I think they didn't buy it, it was just merge of company. :)

9. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Merge? I think you just went full pretentious.
    Please research about company merging and what are the most common requirement for two companies to merge. Example : Sony-Erriccson although they already broke up. Remember the key sentence here are both parties got a win-win with equal value and size.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just basic fear of losing an essential vendor. On the assumption that N-Trig is the only path (for now) in the Surface/Lumia line, the LAST THING you want as an OEM is to have an essential vendor go to a competitor (actually amazing that Apple didn't offer $500,000,000 to choke off Microsoft), or worse yet they go into that bottomless pit called Chapter 11 and a bankruptcy judge determines your fate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.