Microsoft acquiring N-Trig?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by surfaceproartist, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Microsoft buying N-trig is an interesting move......even though the Surface Pro 3 is the only 'current" N-trig tablet, the upcoming Sony-less Vivo tablets I believe were also supposed to have N-trig. With Microsofts purchase, does this mean that N-trigs ES tech will be exclusive to the Surface Line, or will they still be able to produce their pen tech for other OEMS? Provided Microsoft doesn't just fire everyone and re-brand everything.

I also can't help but wonder if the recent release of Wacoms own ES tech played a hand. N-trigs main selling points to OEMS was that their pen system was cheaper then Wacom's EMR, used less power, and didn't require a sensor board beneath the screen allowing for thinner devices with no Parallax. But now that Wacom can offer pretty much the same thing with their own ES tech...prehaps N-trig saw its days were numbered, and looked for any avenue to save themselves.

Precurve likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Personally, I would prefer no battery in the pen - one less failure point. I don't think "thinness" is an issue for the SPro3 since it is still thicker than a Galaxy Note 4 or Tablet 12.2, which both use Wacom. I think it is merely a lock-in move and assurance that Samsung doesn't eventually cut Microsoft out of the pen market if they relied on Wacom. In addition, there was some obvious bad blood over the Surface and SPro2, because Wacom barely acknowledged their technology was in use with those devices.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Also the z20t is thinner (by a smidge) than the SP3.

I think the extra EMR layer must present some thinness limit at some point, but I don't think we are there yet... particularly with the other components like the SoC and battery size requirements shrinking.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep the EMR layer is thinner than 1 mm, maybe like 2 pices of paper. I've never understood that argument.

5. dstrauss

Well, when you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I think decision to go N-trig in surface pro 3 was made due to more pragmatic factors.

1) Wacom do not have EMR boards in 2:3 format (ant did not want to make special board for MS)
    2) Magnets on the side of SP3 used to attach keyboard in angled position someway interfere with EMR used in Wacom technology

And I think (alleged) acquisition is a good thing - it mean Windows will support N-trig styluses better. Expect good things like better palm rejection, better drivers e.t.c. MS will gladly license technology - why wouldn't they? They profit from selling software, more manufactures using their styluses is a good thing for MS.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well this does fall in line with the new vertically-integrated approach MS is taking:
    • Surface - industrial design
    • Nokia Phone - mobile hardware
    • N-Trig - digitizer hardware
    And of course, they already have a strong relationship with Intel and their own cross-platform OS with Windows 10...

The way I see it, MS actually positioning itself to become a serious contender among modern consumer electronics giants of Apple and Samsung.

Precurve likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. dstrauss

I don't always agree that Dr. Pizza is bright, but his final comment hit the mark:

"The acquisition is striking, as it implies that Microsoft is in the PC hardware business for the long haul. N-Trig is an important supplier for the Surface Pro 3, and rather than switching to a different supplier (reverting to Wacom, say), Microsoft has chosen to buy out the company, thereby safeguarding its technology."

It also reinforces my thought that N-Trig is coming to the long rumored Surface Mini and 2015 Lumia/Microsoft flagship phone...:D

Dave47 likes this.
  10. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well , there goes my faint hopes of a Wacom MS tablet.
    Just as the surface RT devices are now out of commission...the same may happen to the Ntrig devices and am very optimistic that
    wacom will be back to MS sooner than later.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.