microSD in Dell Venue 8 Pro?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by binly, Nov 27, 2013.

1. binly

binly Pen Pal - Newbie

Tablet comes in tomorrow, thinking I would need a microSD for the extra space. The HD in the Venue 8 Pro supposedly is only 68 MB/s read and 33 MB/s write.

However, I've been thinking about getting the Sandisk Extreme 32GB microSD, which is up to 80/50MB/s read/write speed. Since it's faster than the tablet itself, would the speeds therefore be bottlenecked down to what the tablet can do? And are there any other microSD cards you'd recommend to get the best speed possible?

2. darkcurse

darkcurse Pen Pal - Newbie

Well apparently there are some bios settings that you can change to significantly boost the speed of the internal eMMC storage though as with every "hack" YMMV and take precautions. Discussion here and instructions here

3. maexchen

maexchen Pen Pal - Newbie

4. mrpd

mrpd Pen Pal - Newbie

i bought a sandisk 32 gb micro hdsc and put my ebooks and a movie on it . worked fine when i first put it into the venue 8 pro and when i started to access it i kept getting errror messages and the the books would appear and the the sd card disappeared . i put it back into my card reader and it was fine . i dont know whats wrong .
    mike

5. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...worked fine when i first put it into the venue 8 pro and when i started to access it i kept getting errror messages...>>

...Just a couple of thoughts:

<<...i bought a sandisk 32 gb micro hdsc and put my ebooks and a movie on it...>>

...So if I understand correctly, you loaded the microSD card from another computer? Before you did this, did you format (or reformat) the microSD card? If so, did you use FAT or NTFS?

<<...when i started to access it i kept getting error messages...>>

...Can you remember what the error messages said? It would be very helpful to know. Also, did you attempt to look for the microSD card using the Disk Manager?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management (at far left) > (Look for Disk 1, for example)

6. mrpd

mrpd Pen Pal - Newbie

i used sd formater on another computer prior to loading it to the venue . yes i did try and find it again after getting error messages ( the drive wasnt there anymore) . i cant remember error messages .( sorry ) . i did put it back in my reader on my other computer ( win 7 ) and read all just fine . ill try again and see what happens . i do power down before putting sd card in too .guess what the sd storage drive showing again.showing books and movie folders .forgot to thank you for trying to help me and remember im still trying to get my arms wrapped around win 8 . i havent bought a stylus yet so hopefully that will help .
    mike

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  7. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

8. GNN215

GNN215 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the Venue 8 Pro at the Microsoft store for $99.00 per-Christmas sale, i purchased a Micro SD card 64gig, installed it, formatted it it shows up under "my-PC" but when i try to install programs on to it, i get this error below? Any ideas?

"Unable to install to the root of your disk"

9. pappyxmas

pappyxmas Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like you tried to install into the root directory of the MSD. I created a folder called Programs, then under that folders for each program I've installed on the MSD. When you install the new program, browse to the folder you created for it as the location. Never had a problem.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013