Merom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragonFlame, Jul 30, 2006.

1. DragonFlame

DragonFlame Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that the new Core 2 Duo processors fit in the old Core Duo slots, but the old platforms supposedly don't support the new features. Is there any way to have them do so?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could guestimate the release date of a Core 2 Duo tablet? Or if maybe the manufacturers would fix the motherboards (or w/e) to support the Core 2 Duo?

Is there also any news on the possible drop in prices of the current Core Duo's?

2. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Update the bios. I don't know how difficult it is to do that, or where you would get it from, but that's how you would do it.

I linked an article from PC Perspective in another topic and they said they would be testing core 2 duo for compatibility in a variety of different laptops, so we will know soon enough. They mentioned the main compatibility problem would be the voltage of the socket.

Core 2 wont be available prepackaged in laptops until late august, so I would anticipate price drops around then.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

If and when Fujitsu updates the bios its really easy to flash it.

You can either do it from windows (which always makes me super nervous since if it crashes during flashing your computer is toast).

Or you can do it from a USB Key.

I never thought Id say this, but flashing bios' make me miss my trusty ol foul proof floppy drive.

4. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

No kidding. There's just something that feels wrong about updating your BIOS from Windows.

5. k3l0

k3l0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any tablet manufacturers released BIOS updates with Core 2 support yet? The most recent tc4400 update says it has updated microcode for the new CPUs, dated 9 jun...

In other news, I figure that there won't be any Merom tablets available in the next two weeks... (because I'd like to sell my old laptop and get a tablet.)

Do any Tablet PC manufacturers solder their CPUs?

6. PYROTAK

i hope not that would be lame.

7. k3l0

k3l0 Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah.. I saw an unsubtantiated claim saying that Toshiba did so.

I hope there is some news soon -- even a BIOS update stating that the system is compatible.

8. PYROTAK

according to ahamiliton (who says hes a notebook tech) all fujitsu notebooks have the screw and aren't soldered.

9. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

also according to ahamilton, if you do change out the cpu and screw something out, its $450 to swap the motherboard, warantee void, only thing you can change is the ram

10. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's right and thinking about that I don't think that Fujitsu will release a BIOS update for their motherboards to run the Merom because it would void the warranty and then you would stuck if something went wrong. Even a hard drive upgrade voids the warranty on most manufactures warranties.