Menus should automatically move out of the way.

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Youforcoffee, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Youforcoffee

Youforcoffee Pen Pal - Newbie

Why doesn’t Photoshop/painter menus just automatically move out of the way of the cursor? I like few but unattached menus and there is nothing more annoying when you have miscalculated and menu gets in the way of the cursor. It shouldn’t be that difficult for them to write a program so it pushes of when the cursor comes close.

Anybody agree?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's definitely an annoyance when menus get in the way.

Photoshop was not originally designed to be used as a drawing application, and it still retains its early GUI design logic in many ways. Its old pre-evolutionary 'lizard' brain, in a sense, still affects how users interact with it. I'm actually kind of impressed that Adobe has so smoothly allowed Photoshop to morph into a program where you can draw and paint directly into it with as much facility as it offers. But yes, there are numerous tweaks I would suggest to Adobe in order to increase its appeal to digital painters. The one you suggest sounds like a logical feature to have available in some manner; like when you're trying to select an area which is partly hidden by a menu.

An on-screen 'Undo' button is another such convenience which has been missing since forever. (Or perhaps Adobe has integrated one into their more recent revisions of PS? I'm still using CS4, so I don't know.)

My own solution to this, as well as the "GETOUTOFTHEWAYYOUSILLYMENU" problem has been to work with the Pen Only Button Bar developed right here in this very forum. (Go check that out that thread). It creates a small button bar with 10 of the most essential functions without taking up a fifth of the screen or more. I often use it and toggle off the big menus until I really need them.

The other solution for a stationary home setup is to just expand the available canvas space so that there's ample room for menus and such. If a 24" Cintiq is out of one's price range, then a second Cintiq-like screen to keep to one side and extend the desktop across might prove a nice solution. I'm in the middle of attempting to build one out of an old TPC screen right now, as it happens. I'll know in a week or two if that's going to work. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Bloom

Bloom Pen Pal - Newbie

Just hit "tab" to remove all UI.

3phemeral likes this.
  4. gmang

gmang Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, but at least in photoshop I can reduce the amount of menus to a minimum and position them where they don't bother me. The only thing that takes real space is the colorwheel. I get way more frustrated in Manga Studio. It forces you to have the menus on the sides, and I work 90% of the times in portrait orientation, so I have to be all the time opening and closing the menu tabs or I get almost zero working space. That program really needs better menu configurations.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the idea but you'd have to be able to turn this feature on and off otherwise you'd never be able to select a different tool?

6. FlameStream

FlameStream Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. And a good alternative to this would be to simply not show any UI menu.
    In most art programs, the [tab] button does the trick, giving you as much screen estate as possible for the canvas.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Not exactly, it's solved by using the logic Sketchbook Pro implements: if the pen is making contact with the screen (ie drawing) while encountering a menu, the menu hides, but if you "hover" to a menu it doesn't hide. Pretty simple solution many other software creators could certainly implement.

8. doobiedoobiedum

Thanks, I've updated SBPro for a few years but not really used it much so I hadn't discovered this.

Maybe it's a copyright feature or maybe they (users/writers) feel the tab button is sufficient?

9. doobiedoobiedum

Actually... I've tried this on two different tablets; one modern and the other an older one and I don't see menus hiding.

The lagoon stay's stubbornly in place, the toolbar the same and the top menu tab is just as visible as ever as I approach or draw "over" it.

Is this something in the preferences?

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

My bad! Your absolutely right, it was ArtRage that auto-hides menus. ArtRage is also a very streamlined and innovative product, I got the two mixed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.