Menu limit?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by fda, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fda

fda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody, long time lurker here. :)

I'm having a small issue with the launcher.
    Basically, looks like the launcher (on my eee note) is having difficulties reading more than 24 entries in it.
    When i go past that 'limit', a strange thing happens: after boot, or after a simple launcher refresh, the first entries on page 1 (so that means notes, calc, reader and so on) simply 'disappear'. The icon is still there, but the description is long gone and when i try to load the corresponding program, it freezes on "loading"

Luckily all it needs to restore the launcher to normal is simply flipping the page (ie going to page 2 and back). Everything, then, is back to normal.

The strange thing is, this happens exactly when i go over the 24 entries limit: 25 entries in the launcher mean the first icon (notes) disappearing, 26 the first two (notes, calc) and so on...

I've already tried some factory restore, checking for errors in Config.xml and .Aconfig, and even reflashing the firmware (i'm using an italian eeenote, with the latest russian firmware) but the issue remains.

It's not that annoying but i'm just curious to know if it's just a problem of my eeenote or.....

(sorry for my bad english)

2. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem, and I just counted the number of entries: 25.

As you said, there might be a limit in the number of entries or applications that you can have in the menu.

Besides flipping the page with the pen, you can also touch the pad (first activate it, of course) and then the text of the first entry appears again, without needing to flip the page.

I would be very glad to hear comments from other people. Is there any way to fix this?

3. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed that if I go over 25 entries, one or more of the apps stop working properly. This seems to be the reason why the FBreader wouldn't work for a long time, and why the QComic app would crash on opening. If I limit the entries to 24 everything works fine.

4. andy840119

andy840119 Pen Pal - Newbie

i think ......
    maybe we has install an app that the"dev chack" has something wrong~
    at first i instilled "fullinstill" is OK~

5. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

1. run : '/usr/local/eTablet/remount.sh' in 'consoleq'
    2. Install 'CuteNotes' and remove couple of lines in '/eTablet/etc/launcher/Config.xml'

You can for example remove line for 'Bubble Braker'.
    'Sudoku' needs to be installed because every dvt_check app installs itself after 'Sudoku' in menu.

You can install more than 24 apps, remove them from 'launcher' and than run them when needed using QTFM's Bookmark pointing to the app.

Qtfm - Custom Action :

filetype : folder
    Text : run app
    Command : %F

Installed applications are stored in /usr/local/eTablet/bin/

6. fda

fda Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the apps work perfectly when you refresh the launcher so there's no real need for a fix. Point is, sometimes it gets annoying to do a refresh everytime it happens.

I don't think it could be a dvt_check related problem: the last time i did a complete reflash, i installed everything (except for qtconsole, cuteexplorer, and qtpacker, which were the basis) from the repos, but the problem still persisted.

It's just a theory, but could it be that the launcher it's just being slow? I mean, maybe there's some sort of cache memory for the entries it can read in just one sitting (starting from the latter ones) and to go around the 24 limit it needs to reread 'em two times...

...even though that doesn't fully explain why it loads the icons but not the text and the location of the executable.

(my catch was that 24 entries it's not just a random limit. 24 it's exactly 8*3 which seems like some sort of byte limit. But then again i could be seeing a little too much in it...)

7. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

In theory, we can modify ipk packages, to force fost install script to add such entry into QtFM config. So it could be an analogue of launcher ..

Also it can be a script which will scan installed apps folder and add them it to QtFM's bookmark list ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.