Memory Upgrade to CF-18

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by carolinadad, Dec 13, 2007.

1. carolinadad

carolinadad Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Toughbook CF-18 and would like to either upgrade the existing memory or add more to enhance its performance. The operators manual doesn't provide a procedure for accomplishing this. Has anyone tried this? How do I gain access to the memory in order to swap it out? My guess is that it is tucked away under the speaker.

2. carolinadad

carolinadad Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so, I'm going to answer my own question for the benefit of all who either didn't know or, like me, were too squeemish to give it a try. So, I swapped out the memory in my other laptop (a 1g for a 512 PC3200) and had no plans for the 512. Finally went with my gut instinct and removed the 4 corner screws securing the speaker panel. NOTE: use a really small cross tip. Anyway, I removed the panel expecting to see a 256 DIMM installed. Low and behold - an empty 200-pin spot asking to be filled. So, I lined up the module, snapped it in, turned it on, and the computer recognized it. Afterward, I checked the operators manual and its supposed to take a PC2100 module. As a side note, the operators manual DOES show where the memory module goes if I had just read through it thoroughly. That's why I'm a newbie.