Memory Speeds Mixing

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ali Ahmad, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ali Ahmad

Ali Ahmad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    I recently upgraded my memory from 4GB to 6GB
    I attached my laptop's and memory's details
    Is ok to mix different memory sizes?

And also, I didn't notice a boost to my system
    and my laptop switches off by itself sometimes, and not due to overheating, my heatsink is running good

Attached Files:

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can mix sizes with no problem, but I notice the speed for each memory card is different from one another. The fact that they're even running means your hardware is quite clever. A few years ago, if the memory speeds on two cards were different, the system wouldn't work at all. -It might be why you are experiencing random shutdowns. (But maybe not.)

You won't necessarily experience a big system boost when upgrading memory except when using applications which normally make use of virtual ram (the "scratchdisk" in Photoshop) when your working files get really big.

3. Ali Ahmad

Thanks for replying
    So you recommend removing the 2GB ram for better performance
    One thing to note also is that after googling my concern, I found out that Laptops might use the low speed RAM or something like that, what do you think about that?

Thanks again

4. Ali Ahmad

I also attached index test at 6GB and 4GB total memory
    what are your thoughts about it?

and one more thing, which is better? one 4GB (1333MHz) ram or two 2GB (1067MHz) on my laptop? knowing that the 4GB is the one that came with the laptop

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's very unlikely that a user would notice any performance difference between memory speeds.

I'd keep your current 4Gb and pair it with another 2 or 4 GB stick. You'd just have to make sure to get one which has the same performance specs.

Pages 86/87 in the user manual for your laptop indicate that you can have a maximum of 8Gb RAM and that modules need to be 1333 MHz SODIMM DDR3.