Meeting of the Niponese TPCs! Fujitsu, Sony and Toshiba

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by thatcomicsguy, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stoneseeker and his lovely wife found themselves in my little town and so it was with great pleasure that I was able to meet up with them at a local cafe armed, each of us with our respective tablets. This was super-fun, and not just because they were such charming people, (artists are great folks!), but also because I was able to try out a couple of Tablet PCs I'd never had the opportunity to even hold before, let alone play with.

Meeting-1.jpg

So. . , I got to try both the famous Fujitsu t902, (far Right), and the N-Trig powered Sony Duo13 (Middle) as well as trot out my venerable old workhorse, the Toshiba Tecra M4, (Left).

This isn't an in-depth review, but I will share some impressions:

The Duo13 was a really sweet piece of hardware, light and well-built, but man! I am NOT accustomed to the Win8 OS. I kept triggering pop-in, slide-out menu thingies and I felt like my grand dad. "What? What did I just do? Where did my drawing go? Did I break it?" I'm sure with practice, it would become second nature, but for now I am definitely a species of computer user coming from the Jurassic period with a GUI brain the size of a walnut.

I tried out Clip Studio Paint (CSP) which its makers have tuned up to work with full pressure sensitivity under the N-Trig system.

And this marks my very first time, not just with a Sony TPC, but also with the N-Trig digitizer system. I was both impressed and disappointed.

The edge accuracy, as is well known, is great. The pen does indeed register pressure, and you can draw quite well. I could see myself being able to draw professionally with this machine. However. . .

Yuck. In comparison to Wacom, N-Trig, at least on this iteration of Sony's tablet tech, just isn't *quite* there. There's a slight delay between a quick brush stroke and the appearance of a line on the canvas. It's irritating. And in that little delay, direction info seems to get lost, so quick curvy lines have little straight beginnings which aren't supposed to be there. Not cool. -I mean, it wouldn't stop you from getting work done, and if you'd never used Wacom before, you'd probably be thinking, "Hey! This is amazing!" But for those of us who are comfortable with Wacom's penabled systems, it's a step back in terms of responsiveness.

I really hope Sony gets that sorted out for the release of their Flip series. If they do. . . Fireworks! It'll be amazing. If not. . . Well, the Flip will not be on my Christmas list.

The t902 was awesome, as expected. I didn't experience the little jumping cursor bug Stoneseeker told me about, so for me it was a near perfect experience. The speed is just fantastic. You can scribble out images using really demanding texture brushes with no problem. And the screen, while it IS an inch narrower on the North/South axis than my Tecra, is still pretty darned good in terms of size. I could feel comfortable working on that machine. It's good to know if I'm ever in the market for a new and powerful tablet that 13" is enough to get the job done in comfort. I also tried it in portrait mode, and wow! New screen technology really shows up my old Toshiba. It looks great at different angles and with customized menus, I could see myself being able to get decent work done on those taller-than-they-are-wide comic pages quite happily.

Also. . , it was amusing. The t902 is reported as being one of the bigger, heavier machines, and it is. But compared to the 6.2 lb Tecra M4, it felt to me like it was made of cardboard! I guess I've built up some muscles hefting my gear around. :)

Meeting-2.jpg

Stoneseeker drawing on the Toshiba Tecra M4, (above). He can report on the experience himself when he gets around to checking this thread.

So, cheers, guys! It was a beautiful and fun afternoon; thanks so much for gracing my little village with your presence and letting me try out your toys. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. dukenukem

dukenukem Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice pic man:).Glad to see some great support and letting each other use your tablet pc's.Did yoiu guys have any passer by's asking about them?

3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah man, awesome stuff.
    I always love meeting people IRL after knowing them online for a while.

I've met a few friends in Melbourne like that.

I also met darkmagistric from the forums on the CA.O Facebook page just by recognising how he talks. Haha.

Question for Stoneseeker.
    How did you find the M4 after using the t902?
    I'm looking at getting an older TPC for a mate for x-mas and it'd be good to hear your perspective coming from a newer full-voltage TPC like myself with the x230t.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Fun times. Lydia looks so menacing (or conniving?) in that picture!! hahah I showed her the pic and she was like "What's wrong with my face?!?" lol

ANyway, it was rad to see TCG again, (we actually had met each other through a mutual creative friend previous to the forums) and get to try out the legendary M4!

It was a complete joy to use. Very smooth and tweaked out with beautiful pressure curve and response. The only problems I had was actually getting a nice fluffy airbrush effect that should be standard in any version of photoshop, (could be the way brushes were set up in his CS4) and if I tried drawing with too large of a brush or the chalk brush it would lag a bit. But honestly, for how old it is, I am amazed it was so responsive. That machine was built to last! The screen was so big and square, it was refreshing too. T-ravisty, if your friend your thinking of buying it for is not a techy person, I would hesitate to give it to them though... I think a more user-friendly computer to give a friend to draw on would be the ep121 (with the BIOS flash that fixed the lag) although it would cost more. If you do give the M4, you should install and tweak everything for him/her first. TCG would have some great tips and threads for it.

I completely agree with the Ntrig comments too. Just not quite there yet for those of us used to Wacom. For a person casually drawing and painting who isn't a Wacom nerd like us already it's at a place now I could recommend it to some if the hardware was a fit, but there is still things using it that I cringe about it.

Awesome to see ThatComicGuy's world... such a beautiful and quaint university town, with friendly folk everywhere. Great creative vibes from the place for sure!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like a fun meeting!

Hey Stoneseeker, what kind of stand do you have your t902 on and how easy is it to lug around?

6. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

I would love to know too.

7. stoneseeker

It's just a basic Fellowes laptop riser that is quite adjustable, but I had to modify the lip to accomodate the T902. I just drilled an extra little piece of hardwood to extend the lip so it held the computer more securely. It's very comfortable to use.
    It's downside is it's not very portable at all, so a pain to lug around. Something like the built in adjustable stand on the Companion is far more ideal. I would like to find a collapsible equivalent to what I have, but I have never seen a laptop riser that fold near flat or deconstructs easily before.

cleft likes this.
  8. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

I use one of these for my x230t.
    It folds flat and is very portable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    thatcomicsguy, cleft and stoneseeker like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay Stoneseeker, there is obviously a story here about how you were able to marry such a lovely woman. Does the story involve years of captivity in your basement and the Stockholm Syndrome?:D

Always nice to put faces on the content.

10. stoneseeker

HAHA there IS a story, and it certainly is unique. But our story would probably cheese you out, bore you to death and doesn't involve as much chloroform as you may suspect!
    But allow me to brag about her a little bit since we're on the topic! my wife is an emerging jewelry fine artist making some pretty fantastic stuff with precious and semi-precious materials (silver, gemstones, copper, gold, enamels, etc) I'm pretty proud of her work, you should check it out: lydiabuxton.com
    Here's a much better picture of her at a recent jewelry gala for good measure!
    lidiatthegala.jpg
    On a much more relevant note, she has been enjoying the Duo 13 we picked up. The pen now works flawlessly in Sketchbook Pro, Manga Studio's newest update, and in Artrage as well.
    She's been making way more use of the touch functions though, especially with her new addiction to "Wordament". Anyone else on here completely addicted to that game??

thatcomicsguy and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.