Meeting Notes / Note Container problem

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by jhoff80, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I recently started using OneNote and Outlook's "Meeting Notes" functionality, which imports the description of the Outlook event, pre-enters in participants, and attaches files that are related. The nice feature about it is that it's supposed to let me collapse and expand individual sections, so that I can only view them when needed.

The problem here though is that relies on OneNote's infernal "note containers", which I generally prefer to disable. If I have it disabled, then the expanded text will just cover up my written notes. So, I tried a meeting today where I had note containers on, and to my surprise, it didn't actually detect my notes in the pre-existing container (the one which lets you expand and collapse information), but instead put it in a separate notes container, so I have the same problem, of it expanding the meeting information right over my notes.

I was able to copy and paste into the original system-created notes container and it expanded, but that screwed things up a bit with a diagram I had drawn. Plus, it's more notebook maintenance to keep track of than I want to handle; it should be automatic.

So, my question is this... has anyone figured out a trick to get your handwritten notes to be written in the main "Notes" container that an Outlook meeting will create from the start, so that this expanding and collapsing functionality works as it should immediately?

2. David Sydney

David Sydney Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm no expert in Onenote but I use it every day to take notes. I think the only way to do as you suggest is to split your note containers up. If you highlight your test or hand written section then hold shift while you drag it should create a new note container. Whenever you have hand written notes - they don't display very well when you resize the container in any version.

In fact I have my own question as in Onenote version 2013. The note containers seem to disappear altogether on handwritten notes now. They only become visible on typed text. which makes it harder to select the text.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.