ME400C - Precautionary steps required before deleting recovery partition

Discussion in 'Asus' started by maxwolfie, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Pen Pal - Newbie

How do I create a bootable recovery flash drive so that I can delete my recovery partition?

Better yet - Do I even need one? If I was ever to reinstall Windows, I think I'd probably do a "vanilla" install of Windows to avoid all the Asus bloatware. If I ever need to reinstall Windows, can I not just organize a bootable flash drive from my desktop PC, complete with an unadultered version of Windows 8?

Suggestions?

2. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Pen Pal - Newbie

Any help with this?

3. Mimoid

Mimoid Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

It is up to you to decide if you need any of the pre-installed Asus demoware. The standard Windows Update will take care of any upcoming software or driver updates, you don't need to use Asus LiveUpdate for it.

If you are certain that you won't want to go back to the preinstalled Windows 8, you may safely remove the recovery partition during the installation. That was what I did.

Otherwise you need to run the standard Windows 8 recovery media creator function to create a recovery partition to a USB flash drive.

No matter what you choose, you will need the driver package from the Asus web site. Put it on the bootable USB drive, so you have everything at once. When you run the Windows Update after installation, it will fetch all remaining device drivers.

Oh, and don't forget that you will need a mouse and keyboard during the installation of Windows. The easiest is to get a cheap micro USB OTG hub with at least three ports (USB flash drive + mouse + keyboard).

//Tom

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.