McCaslin: Stealy/A110/A100 = a brief stop gap in the Intel roadmap = poor choice for UMPC buyers in 2007?

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would call that a fair assessment. You will be probably right about initial Menlow devices that really push the small form factor being pricier than the target. But soon after, I think it will also allow for devices that sacrifice the screen res and overall portability for less than $800 MSRP.

2. ctitanic

ctitanic Pen Pal - Newbie

I was talking in there about tasks relative to Graphics, because the Q1U has a better graphic chip, so in those few tasks probably the performance is about the same.

I really do not see where you see from those benchmarks that the Q1U has the same performance than the all generation of UMPC.

3. ctitanic

That's what I'm doing. And for those that can't wait I would recommend to get one of the first generation devices. The price of those is going down and they have a better performance. If you are one of those 30% that want more battery life rather performance, well then go for this second generation.

4. ctitanic

Like I said in another place:

I DO NOT CARE about the Q1U speed. My goal is to let Intel know that we, consumers, know that what they have delivered this time is not more than a cut version of what we had before and that we, consumers, are smart enough to notice that, and that we, consumers, are expecting a real solution to the performance/battery life issue. We don't want less performance to get better battery life. We want to keep the performance going up while the battery life goes up as well. That's what we, the ones criticizing the McCaslin platform want.

I accept that there is a group of users that is happy with actual performance but even that group admits that would be happier if they get more performance with the same or better battery life.

5. RedFox

RedFox Pen Pal - Newbie

That would be me, then :)

I'm not daft enough to try and run anything memory-hungry on a UMPC - pottering along for hours with a web browser and a lightweight word processor like AbiWord (and a BT keyboard when needed) is more like what I'm planning. And in the medium term I'd like to install Linux - either MobLin or Mandriva Flash, depending on hardware and software support. By the time Menlow is commonplace, solid-state memory should be a lot cheaper and maybe I can afford an ultra-thin sub-notebook - the UMPC is a stop-gap device for me...

6. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Still too early to see how well Menlow operates in smaller form factor UMPC's. the prototypes they had at CES ran quite hot. They are quite the hand warmers.

-Ed

7. Shogmaster

After CES, I'm beginning to think that even Silverthorne/Menlow is better suited for 7" form factor UMPCs like Samsung Q1U than 4~5" ones like the OQO2. Perhaps Moorestown is finally gonna make 4~5" LCD formfactor possible without mildly cooking your palms, but that's a year+ away, and I'm not sure how SOC (CPU, GPU, memory controller in one die) scheme of that platform will effect performance with Windows.

8. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't held these devices but there is still several months of development to go at the very least. We don't know in what kind of state those devices were at that time and we don't know how good the drivers where that ran them. In fact we don't even know the exact hardware that they have (or will have).

It's all to soon to tell. There is a lively debate on UMPCPortal about Menlow and its capabilities. Right now it is focusing on the GPU that is going to be connected with Menlow. This appears to be the SGX535. Its stats are not impressive and if the new ASUS UMPC is anything to go by it will not be Vista friendly.

Btw, the OQO O/E2 seems to find favour even though it is not running cool or silent.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like Stealy is here to stay for most of 2008 with x86 Windows based UMPC's for the forseeable future.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=14025

Intel screwed up. Big time. Intel is not Apple, they won't be able to spin their way out of this one.

-Ed

10. Shogmaster

No no. Stealy will be gone REAL quick. It'll cost them too much money to keep Stealy in their designs when Silverthorne is so damn much cheaper. Infact, I suspect that's the only thing that Silverthorne will be good at after that news....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.