May be this Wacom worth to wait...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bubble7, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's "nice", does that mean it's accurate? Because it states that the Cintiq Companion can be used as a 2nd screen (which is news to me) or as a graphics tablet--which would be news to me for the Windows version.

I'm guessing they just got it wrong as opposed to the other scenario which would be that things have changed.

2. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

It is, at least, half right.

3. justicejr

Is it just me or is there very little buzz about the Companion online?

All I see, if it is mentioned, is how crazy the price is.

4. Art_N00b

It's a specialty product. I see very little buzz about any wacom product outside of digital art circles. Same with Fujitsu T902 and other products. They're nice, but they're not "iPad buzz level" for Joe Shmoe.

5. justicejr

There's a guy named Joe Shmoe who's very upset with you right now. Somewhere. :)

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Given the price point, its no less buzz worthy then anything else in their Cintiq line. For most artists will never even fathom getting one because of the price.

And aside from using the DTK Digitizer and having bezel express keys...the Companion is just really a Tablet PC......with one of the dimmest screens on the market and it will be outdated and outclassed spec wise once the Haswell Tablets start to hit in the next few months. But the DTK digtizer aside...its really nothing new to the game.

Now if Wacom put out a Baytrail Atom, 11.6 inch Companion for like $600-$700...the more accessible price point would definitely generate more buzz.

7. Art_N00b

Ah, but what else could it be? I'm not looking for Wacom create a new class of device that can't be called a "tablet pc", or to roll their own op sys, or really anything else except merge their Cintiq with tablet pc innards.

Personally, having been disappointed in a 10.1 screen size, I won't buy anything again that is less than 13.3. But I understand that preferences vary.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well their decision to remove the Cintiq ability alone just kills it. Tablet PC & Cintiq in one would have easily made the device stand above every other Tablet PC since its lifespan and usage would be that much greater. Once the un-upgradable chip-set doesn't cut it anymore, and the Battery starts to no longer hold a charge... Even at a high $2000 - $3000 price tag it would have been much more of a justifiable purchase knowing you could hook it up to your desktop and use it as a Cintiq.

Also...judging by Wacoms Marketing strategy as of late....I would not be surprised if..lets say 6 months down the line...after so many early adopters from this board have already plunked down the $2000...Wacom unveils an even more expensive Windows 8 Companion Hybrid.

And as far as screen sizes....the Aspect Ratio and Resolution do also play a hand. For example...I have adored the 16:10 10.1 screen on my Galaxy Note...but I haven't really been digging the 16:9 10.1 screen on my TPT2. However I've been making due for the past 2 years with my 16:9 11.6 S7S just fine. A smaller screen would also make it cheaper and more portable, since the the Companions 13 inch screen with the Bezel will give it the footprint of a 15 inch laptop. Not exactly the right size for a proper portable tablet in my book.

I was kind of hoping to move on to a bigger screen tablet though...was really looking forward to the ATIV Q...but that's now vaporware or delayed to holy heck, and the Cintiq Companion has too many drawbacks.

For a $2000 price tag...I'd rather get the Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1. Its a 16:10 10.1 screen...but spec wise it can perform pretty much just as good as the Cintiq Companion, The Battery is user replaceable, it has programmable express keys on the bezel, its nearly indestructible, and has a 800 nit outdoor screen. Much better value the the Cintiq Companion in my book.

Personally I can't wait to see all the angry Wacom parishioners who will be disappointed by the dim screen on the Companion. I still can't believe that Wacom made the device a dim 210 nits...and has the gall to basically advertise it as having an Outdoor/Sunlight viewable display with those horribly misleading "On Tour" videos.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Art_N00b

Agree.

I love the Galaxy Note 10.1 screen as well...for viewing. For drawing, it feels tiny.

I see you want a bigger screen too. :)

10. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

If the hardware were more impressive I could see them justifying the pricetag for the windows version... but it isn't. Without the utility value of using is as a classic cintiq on your desktop I don't see how side buttons and a DTK digitizer are going to convince people to settle for it's hardware when they can get so much more out of other tablet PCs at the same price point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.