May be this Wacom worth to wait...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bubble7, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Who knows? 13HD has only been out for a bit.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm, I think Navarro actually contradicts himself:

1:09: "It's a very, very powerful device"
    1:23: "Basically, it's like carrying your own studio with you everywhere."​

Here, I'm thinking he's pushing the definition of "studio" a bit too far. Most animators' studios would use workstation class hardware, which is a far cry from the Companion.

But I thought, ok, let's see how he uses this thing before making the final call...

2:41: "Mainly, the task that I would use the Companion (for), is to rough entire sequences, to do rough animation in front of the client. So it brings speed to the task." ​

:confused: So clearly the usecase is not a "studio's" worth, but just the sketching/ideas phase of the workflow. But if that's primary use, I think a normal Tablet PC, or even a Note would suffice...

I don't think this is the greatest marketing video...plus it could use a lot more footage of Navarro actually working on the device imo.

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. This is a rich mans note. No serious animator is going to use this except to do tasks which could be completed on lighter, cheaper and longer lasting devices. Personally I'm looking forward to Android based devices with a digitized pen that are bigger than 10". Which is why its really a shame that both wacom android apps sound pretty sub-par.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The unit in the video is the Windows Pro version FYI.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know. I was just commenting on how people plan on using it as a sketching pre-production device, which is what the Galaxy Note could do now. Then you throw in the Android option with sub-par Android apps and it also looks unattractive. I guess if you plan on primarily using the Android version as a Cintiq, the extra $500 may be worth it for occasionally sketching.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

EFF YEAH.

still king. :cool:-

7. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been studying the pros and cons of getting the cintiq companion at launch instead of waiting for haswell and so far from everything Ive seen, haswell doesnt really offer much worth waiting for, and even seems like it might be worse. I was curious so I did a comparison of the included 3517u chip and what I thought would be the haswell equivalent (the 4500u). On this page you can see that the 3517u is equal if not better in most areas tested. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3517U
    The 4500u even says that it is limited to 16gb of ram wheres the "previous gen" 3517u, that we were all *****ing about, can actually accept up to 32gb. A few other pluses include the higher clock and overclock speed as well as higher base and max frequency for the gpu. Weather or not the ram will actually be soldered is another story, but to me it seems like the haswell line has been slowed down and dumbed down in small ways to achieve a better battery life. Personally I would rather have 2-3 hours less battery and be able to crank it to full potential, I also imagine if you turn the screen down and throttle it a bit yourself you can get close to the battery life of haswell. I also compared the 3517u to the 3317u currently in my ativ pro and it seemed to be a substantial improvement. So for me the processor is no longer an issue, the only downsides I can see are the weight/size and the lack of eye blinding screen brightness. The size/weight are expected for such a large battery so its not such a big deal and I rarely ever use anything at full brightness (my macbook air is at about 40 percent as i type this). All in all I really look forward to getting this thing. What do you guys think?

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

well....any interest I had in the companion is now gone. Was just checking Wacoms site and they updated the specs quite a bit. Max brightness......is 210 nits.......that has got to be a joke....Both the Companion and Companion Hybrid are actually going to be dimmer then the regular 250 nit 13HD. For a pro tablet this will nearly unusable in places with alot of overhead lighting...or daylight via a window. what a damn shame.

9. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

damn that's a bit of a disappointment, but i think im still willing to give it a shot as i dont plan to use it in direct sunlight, mostly in bed or coffee shops. Also keep in mind we're paying the premium for a device with premium features. I think i already posted this video but watch how easy the short cuts are. Keep in mind this is better touch technology than most tablets, afaik... because rather than disabling touch when the pen is in proximity to allow for palm rejection, this actually senses your palm and allows you to use touch as shortcuts while still using the pen. Maybe other tablets allow this now also.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcbOk6hPN28

10. Sprocketeer

Sprocketeer Pen Pal - Newbie

Just shows how everybody looks at things differently. Here it is from my perspective:
    I preordered my Windows 8 Companion right away. I already own a Cintiq 21UX, but what I like about the Windows 8 Companion is that I can use it while I sit comfortably in bed or on a cushy armchair - and with no damned wires!
    So I'll probably sell my 21UX on EBay as a buy-it-now this October.

I am not going to worry over how many nits it offers, or what kind of bridge it uses. To me, not much point in comparing specs to other tablets or even other Cintiqs because this device will be unique in the world. And in the videos I've seen, it looks pretty great, so I'll let Wacom's engineers worry about the specs.
    It will fit with my Adobe Creative Cloud membership like hand and glove, and because Wacom won't have a 2nd generation Companion for probably 3 years, you can expect the Windows 8 Cintiq Companion to be the best in the world during that time. Battery life will be like any laptop, so good enough, I'm used to that. If there are significant improvements in the 2nd generation model, I'll be able to sell my old one on EBay at around 70 percent of its current price. The Cintiqs really do hold their value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.