May be this Wacom worth to wait...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bubble7, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh certainly, I get that.

And it's also a different market, so clearly I'm not the intended target. I suppose any effort at all to have some fun with the press releases should be appreciated as opposed to my getting grumpy.

It can be well said that Wacom has made impressive efforts to cross cultural boundaries by establishing regional sales offices on different continents. Who knows? Maybe Europeans react differently.

Though, my thinking is that the marketing reps may have deliberately picked out a novice artist to appeal to what they might have settled upon as their core audience for a portable tablet.

"Art studios will invest in our big 24 inch installation tablets and will likely view a portable Cintiq as, maybe, an accessory but not likely as essential, whereas a hobbyist or art student will be more inclined to think of the portable as their primary solution. Let's draw something which appeals to them. You know? Talk on their level. Be hip with the Deviantart kids!"

Still. . , bureaucratic realities aside. . .

Wacom is a Japanese company, for crying out loud! Any low-wage manga artist could have done a better job. (And maybe even have connected to their core market more effectively in the process. The life blood of DA still pumps at minimum 50% saturation level of big eyes and pastel hair last time I checked.)

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would add how quickly some pieces of kit get worn out in a college studio environment. Our Cintiqs last really well because they are fixed in position whereas the Intuos tablets need replacing far more often.

The only department here I could see ordering is our Games design course - they are fully Windows based but that will depend on the tablets ability to handle 3D Modeling software at full screen. I don't see any of the other departments ditching their Macs for PC tablets anytime soon unless the creative industries here starts to shift over to Windows.
    As Shogmaster also pointed out - poor students won't be able to afford very expensive kit.
    Most companies always offer student deals because they know these students will go into studios asking for the same software / hardware and to my knowledge we've never seen Wacom kit offered at student reduction price here.

However.. to echo ilya11naza's point - it's a step in the right direction and maybe one of the Chinese manufacturers will follow and compete. I'm thinking Yiynova for starters - possibly followed by Samsung with a more powerful and bigger Ativ Q version 2..

3. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree that these comics are lacking in the communication department.Obviously this is partially by design. They want hype, hints, and rumors so we'll all be buzzing and speculating. However the other side of the coin is that the comic isn't very readable. It feels like a very stilted and cryptic monologue rather than a flowing narrative. I suspect this has less to do with the artist and more to do with the comic being written by a Wacom marketing committee. Also the facebook image navigation does not help this stilted feel. I can't defend the lack of good technical drawings though! :)

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree that I find the complaining here astounding and bizarre. Wacom is making a mobile art tablet people. All those things people asked for-- bezel buttons, reasonably sized screen, Windows, i-Core, etc.-- are going to be included. So it's expensive. Get over it. If all you want is Wacom pen input on a mobile computing device, then get an Atom tablet or some of the many, many iCore options available out there.

This is very clearly a specialized niche product made for professional artists that have 2000-3000$ to spend on an art-making device with all the bells and whistles (including brand name recognition). If non-pro artists want to dabble and explore digital art, they'll get some Atom tablet or something used off ebay. It's not so confusing. If you think it's too expensive and doesn't offer much you want, don't buy it.

It's sort of mind-blowing to me, the complaining going on here. At least when we thought it wasn't going to be Windows I understood the dissatisfaction. But now that that's out of the way, what is there to complain about? This is sort of that digital artist dream device, so far. LOL. What were you expecting?

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yep. Wacom might be a tyrant on top, but that's not gonna change anytime soon, so we should be happy when they make steps in the right direction, product wise.

If someone had asked me 2 years ago if Wacom was ever going to make make a windows tabletPC I would have laughed. The unthinkable happened, and they are releasing their take on what artists need for a mobile device. 2 devices even!! I'm still in shock. I have been asking for a niche artist-driven tabletPC since I knew they existed! Not convinced it will best the T902 yet, but I'm hoping it will!

6. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I think for the sake of discussion, critical opinion is totally fair. I don't see pessimistic posts as complaining, just simple; "If Wacom does this, then it's out of reach for me."
    There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

7. Steve B

Oh, saying its out of range financially is fine with me. But I don't really think that's what's going on here. Critical thought is fine with me, but it's like people are trying to logic their way out of wanting the product because their wallet isn't big enough. This kind of "It's not big enough to be useful, but it's too big to be portable" stuff. "It's so small it might get stolen". Give me a break. Any 2000$ tablet people have been buying around here for years could get stolen. Why is this new product being judged any different?

If you want a smaller tablet then get one. If you want a Cintiq then get one. If you want a powerful business-tablet that you're going to force into art use, then get a t902. This product offers something very specific- professional digital art functionality on a mobile level. It's clearly not intended to do much else. If you don't think you need tilt or rotation or 2000 levels of pressure or bezel buttons, etc. then go buy something different. I mean, what's the complaining about but that either

a) you basically want it to be an entirely different product that is already being offered by other vendors (MS Surface, Atom slates, t902) or
    b) you think it's too expensive.

Honestly, a person such as Shog thinks spending more than 2000$ is too expensive for a t902, but that paying 1700$ is fine. But that's totally arbitrary. I think spending 1700$ for a t902 is a joke. Does that make me right? No. It just means I have an opinion.

And I still stand by my earlier statement that, as of now, Wacom offers a host of things other companies don't- tilt, rotation, 2000-levels pressure, bezel buttons, programmable buttons, erasers, hover-click, pressure-curve alteration, ubiquity, etc. If those things matter to you, and you want to use them, they charge a premium. Why? Because there are absolutely no other comparable companies out there that offer what they have. If there was a real comparable alternative that cost less, we'd be buying it.

In truth, maybe there are-- they're called the 500t, the Latitude 10, the Surface, the 700t, etc etc

If people want to make a thread about their issues with Wacom's monopoly of digitizers and art pens and how that affects price, what the real alternatives are, etc, please do so, but I don't see why this thread should be about that. I'm far more interested in figuring out just what this product is going to offer or not offer. I want to speculate and research, share and consider, not just complain.

Ugh. Rant over. Just felt like that needed to be said.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  8. justicejr

Rant acknowledged, Steve.

I imagine that the complaining is coming from needing a Ford, and Wacom delivers a Ferrari.

When I first heard about the Wacom stand alone tablet, I was expecting Wacom to compete with the Surface Pro, Ativ700t, Helix, etc in specs, and performance (and price range). Maybe more memory, Haswell processors, some buttons on top, that kind of thing. So when they start releasing information that puts their expected retail price at double these devices it's a bit of a shock.

Not sure if I agree with their strategy, but I can respect the technology they are going to put together in the device.

9. Steve B

To me, they're actually offering a different and specialized product, clearly aimed at a specfic market. That makes a great deal of business sense to me. I'm not really sure Wacom could offer much that would really differentiate a 1000-1500$ product from the other iCore tablets currently available. Besides, the professional digital artist's market just can't be that big. Where would you be able to earn back your money with margins as low as I'm sure some of the iCore tablets have? They're not going to have it from volume, that's for sure. Plus, they charge what they do because they can. Until someone forces them to lower prices through real competition, they gain the benefit of a market without competitors. That may not be awesome for us, but it is, at the least, completely unsurprising to me.

Besides, honestly, if people really are looking for a Toyota (500t), Lexus (700t), or work horse truck (t902), I think there are many, many options already out there that would really serve their needs amply. Doesn't it seem that way to other people?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. justicejr

There are plenty of options. Which is amazing. I'm waiting just to see what happens before I go purchase my tablet. I think I'm going to stick to the desktop Cintiq 21UX, and a less expensive stand alone tablet option. At least until it comes time for me to upgrade my desktop machine. My 21UX is a fantastic device, and has already held up through two machines.

I'm looking at the Surface Pro pretty seriously. Several cartoonist/comic artists have used them and have glowing reviews. I just wish they would do a spec bump before the next gen comes out. I'll save the rest of this thought for the SP thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.