Maximum RAM on Gateway TPC

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by nikecar, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zootpix@mac.com

zootpix@mac.com Pen Pal - Newbie

Forgive my ignorance, I'm newly into TabletPC's because Apple does not seem interested in this product, at least not yet.

My Gateway C-141XL with Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit) SP1 came with 3 GB of RAM. For less than $100, I can get 4 GB from Crucial. I understand that there are some limitations on maximum RAM under Windows, and Vista, especially the 32-bit versions like mine.

Would I receive any benefit to go from 3GB to 4GB? I'm an architect using programs like Canvas X, Poser 4, Painter X, PhotoShop CS3, AutoCAD and SketchBook Pro, Art Rage and perhaps the most important (and in need of a boost) Google SketchUp. The dedicated video card on the C-141XL was a prime reason that I choose this model, as well as the 14.1" screen for sketching.

I know that PhotoShop and SketchUp need as much RAM as possible, especially with really big files. Would the $100 upgrade from 3BG to 4GB be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I don't think its going to be worth it especially since you would have to use vista 64 bit to have access to the 4gb, and there are so many driver & program incompatibilities with it, i'm not sure its worth the headache.

Oh and you can get memory way cheaper than crucial, Newegg or Amazon has 2gb chips for like $35 each

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think 32bit windows can only see 3.2GB.. so wy bother??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.