Math or science Writting recognition

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThreeTwo, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilasnpr

kilasnpr Scribbler - Standard Member

any one know of a good writing recognition program for math or science for example calculus or chemistry?

2. jkresh

jkresh Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for similar programs, so far I have found two options (for calc) that might work. Mathjournal (from xthink), (no demo available) and http://www.inftyproject.org/en/software.html#InftyEditor which is free and is not ink capable but does have its own handwritten interface which is not as good as ink but does recognize mathematical symbols (integration, summation...)

If you find anything better or buy mathjournal and it works then let me know.

3. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have a look at this thread - there are some writing recognition programs for maths writen there.

Actually, thinking about it - I would be quite happy with one that can recognise greek letters

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. kilasnpr

cool what about for chemistry? what would i use for that? or even physics?

5. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no idea. I do a maths degree, and haven't touched physics since high school and didn't do chem. Although I think you could get away with a normal maths program - unless you want something that would do chem pictures for you

6. kilasnpr

wow the math recognition by Microsoft truly sucks... :( does anyone else make recognition that can re write as typing.

7. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

I do not, but you have two good options for getting the stuff into your computer:

1. Use a program like OneNote (Windows), Xournal (Linux/BSD), or Jarnal (Java, cross-platform) and just do it all in ink.

2. Use an office suite with a good set of math formula input tools and auto-replace-text-with-symbols such as OpenOffice.org and type the stuff in.

I didn't have my tablet in undergrad when I did a lot of the same type of work and #2 worked very well. You'll want to learn how to type in the formula syntax and know the key bindings for superscript and subscripe. (Ctrl-Alt-P for superscript and Ctrl-Alt-B for subscript.) Typing the formula syntax in for OpenOffice.org is MUCH better than for MS Equation Editor in Word. For example, an integral of x dx from 1 to pi/2 would be "int from 1 to {%pi over 2} x dx." It is rather similar to TeX or LaTeX if you've used those programs to write academic papers.

8. kilasnpr

where do i get the syntax?? and what about for like science classes such as chemistry will open office work for that?

9. onx

onx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm currently an undergrad physics major and I've been seriously considering getting a tablet pc for taking notes, making calculations etc. I'm considering getting an x61t with vista on it, and I played around with one at microcenter the other day and while the handwriting recognition was impressive, it didn't like Greek. I tried going to the training thing and training a new Greek character and it refused to learn any Greek character (error message said it wouldn't do it). Does Vista not support Greek & math intermixed with english?

As I understand it, I could use onenote, which looks fantastic, but I'd really like more flexibility. The programs I rely on most are:
    Word
    Excel
    Powerpoint
    Outlook
    (I can't stand OpenOffice for some reason...I guess MS has me hooked with office 2k3)
    Mathematica 6
    LaTeX

With some Photoshop, Illustrator (CS3), Solidworks 2007 and Mastercam X2 for design and diagramming.

Presumably I should get Onenote (Would it be advantageous from a tablet I-plan-to-use-the-pen-constantly perspective to upgrade to office 2007?)

Overall the concept of a tablet pc is absolutely amazing, and the one I used for 10minutes or so completely blew me away, but I'm really worried about the math stuff. If I could get the math...it would save me so much time and pain it would be ridiculous and make the price tag seem incidental. Keyboard shortcuts are great and all...but when everything requires some crazy keyboard shortcut, even doing seemingly simple calculations or write-ups seems to take forever and drives me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any help

PS: I'm not a huge fan of third party programs unless they're seamless.

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, ink recognition for symbols, greek alphabet and equations is near nonexistent, so you might want to stick with TeX/equation editor for that. I usually keep the equations I write in raw form, for reference, and do the digital conversion manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.