Mark or Scratch caused by closing the lid

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by khag7, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khag7

khag7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had for a while now 3 horizontal marks on my screen. They line up perfectly with the edges above the touchpad and below the keyboard, leading to the conclusion that they are caused by contact between the screen and the palm rest area. Yes, I know I should've had a screen protector.

At first I thought they were just marks that I could remove, but now I'm realizing that they have to be scratches from the metal surface. What else could they be?

It's usually not an issue but in a strong glare (which sucks on this screen anyway) it's extremely obtrusive.

Anyone else have this?
    Do you think I have a case with HP for a new screen or something?

Picture helps explain it:
    [​IMG]

2. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Nothing like that here. Given how smooth the metal is in the market areas I can't even imagine it scratching the screen on my tm2.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

actually, it is exactly the issue... there were a few people reporting the issue before, I think that one of the solutions was that they put stickers/ a laptop skin on that area so it at least greatly reduced the rate at which it wore the screen

It seems to be caused by the screen shifting around slightly while it was closed (so the metal slowly rubs the screen and the problem slowly builds [scratches] over time), if you close your screen and shine a light from one side and look from the other you would see a very tiny gap, and you would likely see the area near the top of the palm rest is close if not touching the screen

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got a 2710p with the same sort of marks. Not really scratches so much as lines where the anti-reflective coating has worn away so they're shiny strips.

Granted it's several years old and has had a lot of use. Plus I tend to carry it around with stuff piled on top so any spacers are liable to get squashed down. YMMV

5. blkrx7

blkrx7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly the same issue with mine. Miserable defect imo.

6. zapblam

zapblam Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine has that started a year ago, heavy use. Walmart craft section self adhesive craft felt strips. Put thin strip along the factory lip where you indicate.

Think its from pressure of grabbing laptop there all the time, and the hinge design not built for carry grip presure

7. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/35758-screen-damage.html

There's the original thread discussing the problem. It's a typical HP design problem. I have a similar problem on my dv5t, the chasis is rubbing against the display, so it's cuasing this scuffing on my Infinity Display. Easiest way to prevent it is a screen protector. that said, I have this problem still, except I see the damage on my screen protector. If you use it in slate mode a lot, your lid will get it too. I see a couple shiny areas on my lid already.

8. Moon Shadow

Moon Shadow Pen Pal - Newbie

Fortunately I use screen protectors and they get ruined instead of the screen. The last protector I used is an Exim and it doesn't seem to be scratching like the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.