Manufacturing defect?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Indirectly I can understand them not covering the machine as the owner only has a period of days to check over the machine for 'cosmetic' faults before assuming responsibility.

However, if it is that inobvious that an owner does not first see the problem AND that on inspection by Fujitsu it is deemed that the problem was there from the outset, I would have hoped they would have taken this into consideration and worked on the machine under warranty.

Get back to them again and say to them "If you find on inspection that it is clear the problem was there from manufacture, would you be willing to undertake the work as warranty controlled".

Won't hurt to ask.......

2. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Yeah look I also understand where they're coming from, it's just annoying as the fault is not very obvious anyway and though I noticed early on that there was something a bit odd with that corner (more flimsy than the rest of the machine etc.) it wasn't until much later that I actually worked out why this was so. It's pretty clear when looking at it that the machine hasn't suffered any impact damage etc. to that corner...I may fax them photographs. That said, I doubt it would make much difference as their repairs are managed by a contractor here, and from the sound of the guy, he didn't want to risk not getting paid by Fujitsu for the job. Basically he told me that Fujitsu won't pay them for this sort of job so if I wanted it sorted out I'd have to pay for it myself.

3. P8RSON

Sorry caeci11ius... but if this is being undertaken by an independent and not Fujitsu directly, what exactly did Fujitsu say to you again...
    Morally they need to check the machine over to ensure what you say is true (of which I have no doubt whatsoever).
    To simply dismiss it and tell you to go to an independent repair without even consultation is simply not on.

Can you not speak again with Fujitsu and say to them that if the independent repairer finds the defects were there from the beginning, would they then be happy to pay him to make good job of the problem.

...and with that... it's bed time sorry.

4. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

I sent my ST5030D into repair because the thick plastic screen cover (not the film that's anti glare) was peeling up when it got warm. Over at the Tabletpcbuzz (now down I believe and I think it's dead) some others were stating the same issues. I also had a problem with the screen blanking out while the machine's running and not being able to get it to show anything unless I hybernate/wake it up. They "repaired" the screen which meant that they fixed the bottom but forgot the top, they didn't fix the video issue because yesterday it happened again.
    I'm in the process of getting a refund on it so wish me luck!
    I'm going to purchase a 4215 since it seems to be the best computer for me, but reading these posts have me wondering if all tablets have issues with fans, viewing angles, etc.etc.

5. P8RSON

You go for the T4215 Bhaltair.
    I can assure you you will not be dissapointed.

btw have you decided which screen option (SXGA or XGA) you will take if you purchase one?

6. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't. I would love to have the higher resolution due to using Excel often (There's quite a bit of difference how many cells you can see on your screen!) but I've only seen the XGA indoor screen of Fujitsu's in person. I absolutely love the ST5030's screen although it is a bit grainy and can get dim in the light. You can't see a thing really in the daylight outside (not direct light) and when you're by a window it's rather hard to see (again, not direct sun).
    I am thinking of driving down by Seattle to see if any of the retailers listed on Fujitsu's site have any in stock and checking out the screens there.
    My problem is that I actually use my computer for school and when I'm in a tight spot for time it really takes up my study time scanning books etc.
    I've also heard that the indoor/outdoor screen makes it more grainy.
    Ugg.. decisions decisions!
    You probably stated it, but which do you have?
    Can any members of this website post some pictures, especially if they have the XVGA and show the viewing angles/sharpness?

7. P8RSON

I have the Indoor/Outdoor screen.... which was the only option for me at the time in the UK.
    However, although it is slightly grainy, I personally don't find it detracting my attention from it's use.

The T4210 and T4215 have 8 levels of screen brightness.
    During the day inside it can happily be used at level 4 whilst outside increase it one notch to 5 and it's easily seen.

At night is where you will save on screen battery use BIG TIME.
    I rarely go above level 1 which gives me an extra 45-60mins of battery usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.