Manipulating Alias SketchBook Pro 2 images

Discussion in 'Software' started by supushan, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinkies

jinkies Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

On the advice of this forum I'm using a Tecra M7 with Alias SketchBook Pro 2 for digital art.

I get on really well with SketchBook, especially the lasso, move, rotate, resize tools and the labelling of layers. They're all extremely intuitive for tablet use and mean I find myself going back to SketchBook even when I've discovered more powerful programs like OpenCanvas.

I'm writing here though because I'm having serious problems manipulating images from SketchBook in other programs. I tend want to make changes like more complex transformations and gamma/colour changes using the Gimp, but whenever I do this the TIFF image gets flattened into a single layer image with all my layer information lost.

So can anyone recommend software that can do transformations on TIFFs saved from Alias SketchBook Pro 2 without flattening the images, or let me know how I can fix Gimp so it plays nice with my Alias layers?

Thanks for any help. And a big thanks again for all the help you gave me with choosing my tablet and software, and fixing the Click and Hold bug!

Nat.

2. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried saving as a photoshop (psd) file?...Many, if not most, sturdy graphics apps will open them. I don't use Gimp, but my understanding is that if it balks at your file, there are plug-ins to help with variety of psd files. Just a thought.
    t

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That is exactly the way I'd to do it, T. Save a Copy as .PSD in 2.0 (Just save as .PSD from get go in 3.0/2008), then manipulate that version if you don't want it flattened.

Just keep in mind that with 2.0, you can't open up a .PSD afterwards, so what you need to do with SBP in layers should be all done before saving as a PSD file. If you upgraded to 3.0/2008, you can open up a .PSD and keep working.

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Good information here, although I got slightly confused because now the current version is called Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 2009. I just started using it this week, and really really like it so far. Hopefully I find an excuse soon to take advantage of the tips here.

5. jinkies

jinkies Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for letting me know about the update. I had no idea there was a new version out -- the 'Check for updates' tool says I'm up to date.

I knew that I could save as a PSD but then, as you say, I couldn't get that back into the program as PSD isn't supported in version 2. Unfortunately I wanted to edit a line art layer then colour under it, so this was no good. I'd also tried pasting in individual layers from the Gimp but that lost all opacity, making it useless.

I've now downloaded '2009' and I've given it a test drive. I've tested moving SketchBook PSD images to Gimp, editing them and loading them back into SketchBook and I can report that it works perfectly.

'2009' seems to do everything 2.0 did well but also support PSDs fully, allow flood fill, custom palettes, variable layer opacity and masking, and also show layer previews. I think that's well worth the £25 upgrade fee!

So thanks again for excellent advice :)

Nat.

6. supushan

supushan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Nat,
    I had same problem as you, so I found this thread,
    You might not using alias sketchbook anymore, but
    here is how I solved the problem.

Open a notepad,
    copy the following, and save as ".js" file.
    (make sure it is .js file, you can name anything you want)

=====================
    fileObj = new File("~/test.tif");
    tiffOpt = new TiffSaveOptions();
    tiffOpt.alphaChannels = true;
    tiffOpt.annotations = true;
    tiffOpt.byteOrder = ByteOrder.MACOS;
    tiffOpt.embedColorProfile = false;
    tiffOpt.imageCompression = TIFFEncoding.NONE;
    tiffOpt.jpegQuality = 12;
    tiffOpt.layerCompression = LayerCompression.RLE;
    tiffOpt.layers = true;
    tiffOpt.saveImagePyramid = false;
    tiffOpt.spotColors = true;
    tiffOpt.transparency = true;
    activeDocument.saveAs(fileObj, tiffOpt, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
    ========================

and put your .js file where you are planning to save your TIFF file.
    that's it. =)
    hope you are still enjoying paining!

-Emi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.