Making CTO i5 right now! Good Idea for 3 Year Warranty?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Fallenone, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fallenone

Fallenone Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys!

The i5 w/ ATI CTO finally arrived! Having heard about 33% getting defective parts and HP's up and down track record recently, would it be a good idea to buy a 3 year accidental parts warranty for $400?? I need it min of 3 years so I am looking for opinions!

Protect your PC from damage caused by drops, spills, and electrical surges with our HP Care Pack House Call Service with Accidental Damage Protection. You'll enjoy convenient technical support and extended security while keeping your laptop PC (prebuilt or customized) covered by the manufacturer who knows it best.
    And if your PC should need repair, we'll recycle any replaced parts so they don't end up in a landfill. Visit HP recycling to learn more.
    Greater peace of mind
    What's included:

* Protection from damage caused by drops, spills, and electrical surges
    * Convenient technical support while you're at home
    * Diagnosis of the problem with an HP representative, which may include sending you an easy-to-replace part, scheduling a visit to your home, or, in rare instances, sending the PC to an HP-authorized repair site 1
    * Coverage for hardware parts and labor for up to 3 years from PC purchase date*
    * Round-trip shipping
    * Expert 24 x 7 toll-free phone, real-time chat, and e-mail support
    * Technical assistance with PC setup, troubleshooting, and spyware and virus issues

Plan requirements

* Must be purchased during standard warranty period of PC
    * Must be registered and activated as instructed in HP Care Pack materials
    * One plan per PC
    * Does not cover preexisting damage to PC
    * Available only in the United States

*Extended coverage begins the day you buy your HP PC. You'll get the most coverage and value if you buy this plan when you purchase your PC (new or refurbished). For example, if you buy it 3 months after you buy your PC, you'll get enhanced coverage for the remaining 9 months of your standard 1-year warranty, plus 2 additional years.

2. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

As someone that has had 3 motherboards replaced in the last 5 months. Yes, get a warranty. Although I went with Squaretrade, their turn around is a lot faster then HP and their cheaper.

3. Fallenone

This is scary, anybody else feel the same as well?

4. nedlyj

nedlyj Pen Pal - Newbie

Is Squaretrade an authorized HP service provider? Just curious if tat voids your actual HP warranty (the first year) if Squaretrade works on it. Thanks.

5. nbshif

nbshif Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm wondering about this too.....

there's no way i would pay 400 dollars for a warranty on something that costs 950... it just doesn't make sense!

i just ordered mine without the extra warranty. the limited warranty seems to cover any non-accidents (faulty parts or whatever- doesn't cover spills) for a year. but i may be wrong about this. they aren't as clear about this as other companies i've bought laptops from

is there possibly a way to extend the limited warranty if you call or something...?

i just went ahead and took my chances since this is the laptop i've been wanting for months. i'm not worried about spilling or dropping it, if i do that i'm a dumbass. but i'm hoping any tm2 random malfunctions are covered

6. Fallenone

yeah dude I am in the same boat.

The thing is we can buy the warranty as long as we do it within the 1 year limited time that the laptop comes with. However the start date will be your original date of purchase and not when you actually pay for the warranty.

It is just 400 is a lot of money but I also like to not have to switch to a new table in 1.5 years because the tm2 will die and act up. It will not only mean possibly losing important files but also important time lost in getting a replacement =[

7. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if you already know about this but if you purchase a product with a VISA card and register it with their warranty manager service they will mirror your manufactures warranty for an additional year. Here is the link if you are interested. Warranty Manager Service | Visa Signature

8. rookwood

rookwood Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting and disturbing observation I've noticed whenever HP reduces the base price - look for the cost of options to increase.

When did they increased these costs for extended warranty and accidental damage? Just last week they were not this high.

So, I configured this unit with the i5 and other necessities and all of a sudden it went from $830 base to $1,440 w/o extended warranty.

At this price, I'll wait a few months for the Sandy Bridge processors to make it into the marketplace - xmas holidays I am supposing. $1,450 becomes much less disposable than $830!

9. shi

shi Pen Pal - Newbie

How much is the warranty? $400? How much is the machine? A warranty is good for piece of mind and of course if something goes wrong. I don't know the specifics of this warranty. Most configurations will be around $1000 +/- If the warranty is $400ish I would keep the money and in 2 years there will be a better/newer version out. you can sell the one you have and with the money you would have spent for the warranty you can get the newer one. If your machine breaks in two-three years you lose a little but you have $400 to apply to a new machine. Just my two cents. -Aloha

10. nedlyj

nedlyj Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, nevermind (I'm answering my own question :) )

I've now looked into the SquareTrade warranties and terms (and reviews) and it looks like they are a better deal all around than HP's.

I'd be curious to know anyone's experiences in using them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.