Making a Windows Tablet PC CD for M400

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Tsukiyomi, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32497 some of you may have seen this thread for making a Windows XP Tablet PC edition for the X41. The \CMPNENTS\ directory is the directory that makes XP into the Tablet PC version, but it I can't find it on my M400, though it is supposed to be in the root C:\ directory of the hard drive. Has one one else seen this folder? I would really like to reinstall my windows without the Toshiba software as I counted 21 icons in my system tray fresh from the factory.

2. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have an original windows CD (must be SP2, or with SP2 slipstreamed) the \CMPNENTS directory should be on there. Possibly inside a sub directory such as Extras (I can't remember exactly)... Although, that guide does say it's on your computer, so I could be wrong.

3. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah I would like to do that too, but I couldn't get it to work. Slipstream SATA was easy, but then my CD key didn't work then all type of wierd stuff happened, so I ended up using their restore CD and uninstall a bunch of their programs. Got down to 48 processes running at start up, hopefully I can get it to 40.

4. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure the CMPNENTS directory is on WinXP SP2 Disk 2 - a second CD used for OEM installs of Tablet edition or MCE (it contains the files for both). WinXP SP2 Disk 1 will only prompt you for the second disk if you've entered a CD Key for either Tablet or MCE edition (the key you enter determines the flavour of Windows you get).

I've heard that its possible to get the CMPNENTS directory onto the first disk by eliminating extra crap, so that you have a single installation medium. But it is also possible that, in this case, Toshiba has not bundled the installation sources on the restore partition at all - perhaps they've just got a Ghost image that copies to C: whenever you restore? In that case, a true "clean install" disk would have to be derrived from an MSDN copy of Tablet OS - or somebody's legit MCE disks. A generic copy of XP Pro or Home won't cut it though - you'll only have Disk 1.

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I finally got it to work; indeed Toshiba does not include the installation sources on the restore partition/media. I copied the partition to my other computer through Norton Ghost and opened it to find that it is essentially another ghost image.

To reformat a M400 with a clean version of windows without bloatware requires you to have access to a set of MSDN cds. You simply need the folder CMPNENTS off of the second CD, which also contains the media centre edition components of windows as well.

There is a file within the I386 directory of the windows CD that is called setupp.ini. I believe there is a line in there that reads PID=some string of numbers. If you replace the last 3 numbers with OEM, I believe it will accept a legal Tablet PC edition key. Note, this is only for users with a legal key for Tablet PC 2005 and are lacking their own reinstallation media.

6. iczman

iczman Pen Pal - Newbie

TabletX could you show me exactly what you did to slipstream sata driver into tablet pc edition 2005? I've been following numerous slipstream guides and I kept getting this error when the setup cd is trying to read my harddrive:

"The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:
    Value 0 on the line in section [WinntDirectories] with key "1983."
    Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

7. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the nlite software to do it. As for the SATA driver, I got it from Toshiba website. However, I wasn't able to get a clean install because I couldn't get the CD with the tablet function. My tablet is running pretty smooth, I found out that most M405 bloatwares were required for the tablet button functionality, so right now I am hovering around 60 processes. I haven't quite figure out everything yet. I got it to run for about a max of 4hr and 15min not too bad but not too good either. Well got to give it up to core duo, for level 1 cpu, it stills run pretty smooth.

8. iczman

iczman Pen Pal - Newbie

TabletX I also used nLite, but I found what I did wrong. XP TPC Edition has two disks, and I only used nLite on the first disk. Instead, I'm supposed to extract both disks into the same folder AND THEN use nLite. Now i'm just happy I finally installed a clean XP TPC on my m400, and it's much faster without all those Toshiba crap.

9. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have any # to faster? I achieved complete boot up with Firewall and everything at about 2min 15secs. It seems that after my virus and my firewall got activated that it took that long original boot up time was about 1 min 40 secs to at most 2 mins. I wasn't as lucky as u are, I wasn't able to make a clean copy of XP Tablet, but I got my running proccess down to 50 at start up and that included all the toshiba hotkeys and my various softwares. Please let me know if it is worth my time to try and obtain a Tablet XP disc

10. iczman

iczman Pen Pal - Newbie

The main reason I nuked the factory XP and reinstalled with a clean copy was because my m400 was performing a bit sluggish even after I removed most of the crap I deem useless. If you are getting 50 processes and still with quite a long boot time, I would suggest you reinstall like I did. It always feel fresh to nuke a messy OS and replace it with a clean one. My boot time now is at 1min with 58 processes, and that's after loading most of the softwares I use daily.