Making a choice for memory

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Kas, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha Technogoddess

Alpha Technogoddess Tablet PC Noob

Hello~

I'm in quite a conundrum here and I'm trying to figure out how much memory I'll need for my new computer. When I thought money wasn't an issue I thought I'd go for the full amount of 4 gigs of memory for my new T4220. I've yet to order it, and to hear that the new sxga screen will be available made me happy I waited :D

But here's the thing. When I select the 4 gigs I'm well over my budget ($3000) by about 200 dollars, and that's without tax. So I tried to compromise and say "Hey, I'll get 2 gigs instead, maybe I don't need all that memory" But even then I'm stuck with should I get two 1gb sticks or one 2gb stick. I keep asking myself if it'll be enough or if I'd like to upgrade later. I see alot of people getting 2 gigs, and the new requirement for vista is 1 gig... and I don't know if alot of people using the 2 gigs are artists so there's a part of me wondering if it's just what they need. So maybe as a person who uses lots of programs at once I need more. I multitask between adobe programs, a little 3dmax, msn, IE and who knows how much virusscans take up...

Also, the fact of opening my computer to install memory scares the bejesus outta me. I feel like I'll break it. Can someone help me come up with a compromise? I want to feel like I have enough without doing too much. I wouldn't mind getting just 2 gigs and maybe upgrading later, but if I do I think it's safe to say buy one stick instead of two, etc, etc... it's a vicious cycle....

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T4220 will perform very happily with just 2GB RAM.
    If you wish to purchase additional RAM I would recommend you get this later from an independent trader... it works out much cheaper.
    Just look out for someone selling 'Crucial' memory as the T4220 is quite picky on what RAM you add.

As to upgrading it.... it could not be any simpler.
    All you need do is turn the machine over, undo the three screws holding a covering plate for the memory, take off the plate and you will see the two slots for adding RAM.
    One slot will already be taken, so simply slot the RAM you purchased into the other available slot, reinsert the plate and screw back up.
    Turn the machine back over and switch on..... nothing more to do as the machine will automatically find the RAM and away you go.

Please note though ~ unless you have Vista 64Bit, you will only see 3.2GB RAM. This is down to how Windows handles memory. 32Bit Windows restricts you to again 3.2GB

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can get a 2GB stick for $110 +/- at Newegg

If you can, get a 2GB stick in the pc, instead of 2x1GB, because if you upgrade with a 2GB stick, youd be at 3GB. fine for non-64bit.

4. Alpha Technogoddess

Cool, I'll install my own memory... Doesn't seem too hard :)

Is crucial brand memory not too compatible with the T4220? From what I've read not alot of brands go along with it. Anyone have a brand suggestion for 1 stick of 2GB? And actually... what type of memory should I be getting for this machine?

I was thinking about getting the 1gb stick when purchasing and buying 4gb separate to install later but from reading around I think I'd have problems with that. Only if someone's been successful with this will I actually think about doing it...

5. P8RSON

Crucial memory is ideal... which is what I said.
    I said the T4220 is quite picky on RAM, not it is picky on Crucial.:)

6. Alpha Technogoddess

Ah, alright! Thank you :)

7. P8RSON

No problem... :)

8. MobiusStrip

MobiusStrip Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I just got my 4215, which I think should be pretty similar to the 4220. I looked on Crucial's website, since they have a wizard for helping you to find the right specs for a processor. From what I can gather, you just need to make sure you find a laptop ram of the following type:

DDR2 PC2-5300

The site says, "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*", so I'm guessing that's all that you need!
    As such, I'm waiting for my 4215 to come in through the mail, then I'll be doing the memory swap, too. Good luck!

9. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I put a 2 gig stick from crucial into my T4220 works perfectly and saaved me about 400 dollars rather than buying from fujitsu themselves. I used the crucial site to determine what memory would work. I simply picked a T4215 hoping it would simliar and it turned out to work.

10. Alpha Technogoddess

Awesome! Thanks guys :) This really helped me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.