Make the Plunge Now or Waite a Little Longer?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by BenI, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. integradb

integradb Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been a member for just over 6 months and am going to purchase a tablet 'soon'. As I read and read from Tablet PC Forum 2 things became evident, 1) there was far more than I ever imagined to learn about tablets & 2) There seems to be a trend of a major upgrading of tablets coming out within the next several months that are taking tablets to new levels.

Once I make the change to a tablet I intend to swith over all my work habits to adjust as I don't want to go from one computer to another.

QESTION: Is it worth waiting a couple of months longer (to see all of these 'next generation' tablets to come out) to make the plunge or is this how tablets have always evolved and just purchase one now?

2. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Master of Obvious Things

Counter question: Are you in absolute need of a tablet or new notebook?

If not, I think you could stand to wait a month or two. ;)

There's always something better on the horizon in terms of computing technology, but with tablets, we've seen "dry-spells" where nothing happens for a while after a huge amount of released innovation. My guess is after the flood of Santa Rosa tablets are released, we'll see one of those dry spells until the next mobile platform is slated for release. So wait a little while longer if it doesn't hurt your productivity.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How observant.... and that would be my thoughts.

4. integradb

integradb Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to begin using a tablet for presentations out in the field which would be something that nobody is doing yet in my business. So the answer is I can waite but, yes I do need a tablet.

And I would like something more toward a convertable as I would be using it for all my computing needs. I'm not one of those who can keep track of several computers/laptops/desktops in my life.

I will have a complete 'set-up' at my office with separate screen, keyboard, docking station, etc. I will also be using my tablet alot away from my office. So choosing the right computer & waiting if nec. is what I may just do unless anyone has any further suggestions on either a specific computer or whatever else.

5. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

well it seems that the only major updates are the new santa rosa chips in the T4220 and X61, and HP and Dell are making brand new laptops and not just upgrading.
    so you have to figure out what you want. you have waiting 6 months already, why not wait another 2 months?
    i myself am waiting for the T4220 as it seems best suitable for myself.
    and like others said there will probally be a dry spell after all the santa rosa TPCs are out. so i will then probally be upgrading and getting a new laptop in around 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.