Magnet in M700

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by andymkthxlol, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andymkthxlol

andymkthxlol Scribbler - Standard Member

This might seem like a really dumb question, but when I went to class this morning a paperclip got stuck to my laptop. There is something magnetic on the right side of my screen (The black screen casing) about 1/3 the way up from the bottom.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In my Fujitsu T2010 also is such a magnet, at the right bottom edge of my display:
    [​IMG]
    (the silver block is the magnet)

It's probably for a reed contact in the body which detects the rotation of the display but I haven't found this reed contact yet, so it's also possible that it's for something else :)

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well how about that. I just found my magnet on the right side of my Toshiba's screen.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It's probably there to hold the screen down since there's no latch to physically hold it down flush with the rest of the tablet.

5. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

My M750 has a magnet of the right screen side and, when rotated round, one on the right at the back of the screen.

I agree it probably operates some sort of reed switch so it knows the lid is closed or in tablet mode? I can't see any other obvious mechanism it uses to detect this. Any one want to wave a magnet over the rest of the case to see if it suddenly thinks the lid is closed?

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tested it with a magnet and on the right side of the tablet body is a reed switch which detects if the lid is closed or opened. However, I wasn't able to detect any relation with the automatic screen rotation.

7. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The switch for rotation (at least on Toshibas) is found right next to the hinge on the motherboard IIRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.