Magic keyboard for iPadPro 2018/2020

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, May 6, 2020.

?

will you buy the magic keyboard?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. maybe maybe not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wait for something by Logitech

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

question is simple,
    • did you buy it?
    • what was your experience?
    • is it worth it depending on your use case?
    • are you going to return or keep?
    • how good is the trackpad implementation is for precision tasks like text editing, gaming. and excel?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

desertlap, siddhartth and Marty like this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if you could expect it to be compatible with at least two more generations of iPPs given the price. I'm assuming their wild new lidar-equipped camera assembly won't be changing again for a while. Maybe next year's will look the same, only with the mini-LED, and perhaps some improvements to the frame.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Boy if that doesn't reinforce certain stereotypes of some of the hardcore Apple crowd, I don't know what does. And I must be missing the point. If you have the magic keyboard iPad Pro combo and need more protection why wouldn't you just stick it in regular backpack or messenger? That way you get protection and room for other stuff like the AC adapter and cables etc.

BTW: I do have the magic keyboard and I like it, though it is obscenely expensive. I think it will be around for at least one more generation and/or they might just tweak it like they did with the keyboard folio which was revised slightly to accommodate the larger camera hump.

PS: We have heard informally that some customers at the Apple store that upgraded to newest generation of the pro from the previous have had success with getting apple to swap the keyboard folio to the newer version. Again, that's defintely 3rd hand and YMMV

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    neongolden likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can think of one plausible use-case. If the material of the outer case is different then the case itself, it could in some instances make the overall experience preferable. That outer-case looks more fabricy, so in a case of someone using on their lap while their legs are bear, it might be more comfortable resting on their skin. It might also get better traction while on a desk. Case in point my Surface Pro, when the keyboard is detached and I set it on a desk/table with just the kickstand, it kind of slides all over the place. But when I put the keyboard cover on backwards, the bottom of the keyboard cover keeps it in place much better and less likely to slide around. This cover for the cover could create a similar effect.

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good point, but I'd think its very niche use case. Plus there are "treads" for lack of a better term that keep it from sliding much ( I have one). I still think its more of a " I don't won't to scuff up my $300 keyboard " item generally

Steve S and darkmagistric like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I did (buy) and returned the 11". Enjoyed the excellent typing experience, handy trackpad and backlighting; returned it because it is heavy, bulky, just as limited screen angles, outrageously expensive for what you get.

Already have the Smart Folio - just not that much of a value proposition over the ease of folding the keyboard behind the device and writing. It's like Apple designed this more as a docking solution than a keyboard case.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

New Logitech entry. It reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

upload_2020-7-16_14-51-11.jpeg

siddhartth, Bronsky and Smiley like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got to play with the Magic keyboard for the first time today. My nearest Apple Store is nearly impossible to get into given the crowd restrictions and my usual Best Buy didn't have the magic keyboards out on the apple table. But I was near another Best Buy today and they did have the magic keyboards.

I was quite impressed with it. Alot of people have been chiming in that its really heavy, but maybe its because I'm somewhat used to schlepping my Zbook around, but the Magic keyboard didn't feel all that excessively heavy to me. Even with the thickness, it does makes the overall closed iPad almost double its thickness, but really every case does that. I have a keyboard case for my Mini 5 that makes it almost 3-4 times as thick. And I like the way it closes so simply and effortlessly...for a keyboard cover its very much the epitome of the apple brand.

The typing experience and trackpad felt good, the only thing I really disliked was the lack of adjustable angles, and the screen was a bit too close to the keyboard for my taste, but it seemed more then sufficient. Ouch on that price though, its hard to justify a $800+ iPad and $300+ keyboard when a Surface Pro 7 Keyboard bundle is only $799. I don't have either of the iPad Pros, but if I did, I'd probably go with the Logitech option just for the price.

siddhartth, Smiley and JoeS like this.