MacBook Pro and iPad replacement

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Nicholas8681, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    $1600

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows detachable or 2 in 1

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 13-inches and above

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    United States

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 8

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Web development
    Prototyping in Protopie
    Digital artwork

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    See thread title. I'm wanting to leave the multi-device world of Apple.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Affinity apps
    Visual studio code
    Linux subsystem on windows
    Various paint applications (ie. Leonardo, etc.)
    OneNote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Probably just something like League of Legends.
    Maybe Fortnite

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Sure. Not a requirement.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Retina level

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I could be occasionally remote at a cafe, and would need it to be bright enough for that.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Really I've found any of the recent AES and N-trig are adequate.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 256gb HD and 8gb RAM

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I'd like full-sized USB
    USB-C with Thunderbolt 3
    Audio jack would be nice.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I do like the Surface Book 2. But I worry about it's reliability. It fits most of my requirements, but I've read many places about it's hardware failings, and I had a recent lack of caring from Microsoft about a New SB I bought that failed.

2. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd also add that I have dealjng with bloatware. I've always found all the brand specific extras as annoying applications.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brave man. I thought Apple had made even contemplating this nearly impossible for mere mortals. ;)

Well since you code and want a retina screen with gaming on the side, you pretty much need a discrete GPU with a large 4K screen and a solid keyboard.

At that price point, I'd recommend these two options:

Splurge a little, and you get the XPS15 2-in-1 ($2000) but I'd wait for a sale on that one...

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

@Nicholas8681 My situation was roughly identical to yours. I needed to replace a workstation laptop and a Surface Pro 3, and ended up purchased a ThinkPad Yoga X380.

I've been with the X380 for only ~2 weeks, but so far I'm really content with this 2-in-1. It's light, serve all of my fundamental needs (coding, note-taking, reading, drawing). And as a bonus point, the palm rest area does not get warm when under load.

However, battery life might not meet your requirements. I've got ~6-7h without power adapter.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't you lie to us Nicholas!

We all know one device is never enough even in the windows world.

Even when it's enough, it's never enough.

Already tapping my wrist every time news of a new tablet comes out.