Macbook Pro 16 is real

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by desertlap, Nov 13, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder when Best Buy and the Apple Stores will get these on the store floors. The slightly bigger screen and spec bump wouldn't be enough for most people to upgrade if they have the current 15-inchers......but the changing of the Keyboard....oh god....that alone will create a cascade of new sales, and returns/exchanges of the old one. Given how horrible the keyboards have been, kind of glad to see Apple finally caved.

While I wish Apple would change up the form factor more towards 2-in-1's.......I have to admit being impressed by their power. I was comparing my Zbook X2 to my friends 15-inch Macbook Pro last nihgt......Very impressive they can cram a 100w battery, a 45w 6-8 core i7/i9 CPU in those frames, and 4-8GB of Graphics Power. Spec wise the 15/16 inchers are 16mm.....but I swear putting it next to the Zbook it looks slim as heck compared to it. And the Zbook is only rocking a 15w i7. Even the Surface Laptop is around 14-15mm thick....and nowhwere near as powerful as the 15 inch Macbook.

3. desertlap

@darkmagistric , One of my folks went in to the Best Buy near our office at lunch and she said they were just setting out the new 16 on display.

We also have one here in our offices for a day or two to play with.. If you are an Apple fan and are ok with a 15, this one is going to be hard to resist.

darkmagistric and WillAdams like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of the strangest decisions ever was to get rid of the escape key but I had a look at the new MacBook here with some media production people and they really liked what they saw. In lots of ways the 16 inch goes back in design steps but they are steps to what worked properly - including keyboard, the thickness that now allows more air to run through and cool it down.

As a machine for creatives - many have been hanging onto their 2015 MacBooks as "the last proper MacBook" but plenty have suggested they would soon be putting hard earned cash down on the new 16".

It's actually a strange step for Apple - very often they have ignored complaints when they dumped older tech but I feel with Jonny Ive leaving, they are more likely to listen to consumers than tell them what they think the consumer wants.

5. desertlap

Agreed . Not only that, but the new one is a considerably better "value" than the previous 15 of for that matter comparable spec Latitudes, Thinkpads or Elitebooks.

I for one don't have the issue that some have with the USBC ports as devices that use that port are generally updated to take advantage of the speed and power efficiency. Not to mention that they are all fully functional TB3.

As to the keyboard, its still not quite to the level of my old thinkpad, but it is a major improvement over any keyboard since the old 2012 era Macbooks.

6. doobiedoobiedum

You probably mean 2013 as I have a 2013 MacBook and the keyboard is a joy to use.

7. desertlap

WillAdams likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum