MacBook or HP's 2730p?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by 970261, Sep 23, 2009.

?

MackBook (2.0 GHz) or HP 2730p (2.13 GHz)?

1. MacBook!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. HP2730p!

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Neither...until prices are lower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Err...What's with these choices?

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Title pretty much says it.

Edit:

Okay, so the choices are there b/c i was wondering to get a lightweight laptop PC than my current tx2510 us, which is just above 4 pounds, whereas the HP 2730p is 3.7 pounds and the Macbook is also a little over 4 pounds.

This may change due to the slice battery i will add IF i get the 2730p, but i will probably opt to leave the PC chargers at home (the power brick believe it or not is quite heavy since i now walk around various places.)

Also, my tx2510us is now quite bruised and damaged from wear and tear of my..."daily activities" and whatnot.

A proper question may be, how many pounds or weight does the 2730p actually take with the slice battery attached?

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi 970261,

The 2730p's base weight is 3.74lbs (1.70kg) the slice battery adds +1.24lbs (0.56kg) so it comes out to be just under 5lbs ~ 4.98lbs (2.26kg).

3. 970261

oh thanks SimsHsia for the quick reply! Okay, so the 2730p w/ slice roughly equals the weight of the 2510us w/ charger? Hmm...and a MacBook itself would be around......5 POUNDS?! WHoa, talk about heavy...

Doc: Heavy, there's that word again....why are things so heavy in the future? is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull?

Anyway, going back. I'm sorta-kinda leaning towards the 2730p+slice atm, but still hesitant due to not seeing a 2730p+slice real life combo's battery life yet. No doubt it's out there, but would like to hear from others on the forum if possible.

4. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

MacBook Pro >>>> MacBook

5. 970261

Took a look at the Pro's, and they're "kinda" heavy all by themselves (4.5 pounds)...Although the battery life of 7 hours (13.3" Pro in optimal settings) nice to see (and where macbooks are around 5 hours under optimal settings.)

Edit:

Incidentally, i've a deal for the 2730p (2.13 GHz, outdoor glare screen, 4GB RAM, 80 GB HD, no camera for $1179 w/ 1 yr. warranty) and another 2730p (1.86 GHz, indoor screen, 4 GB RAM, 160 HD, w/ camera for $1149 w/ 1 yr. warranty)

Of course, I have deals with Macs (not pro) that'll give me about $200 off all models instantly.

6. Bernok

Macbook Pro is lighter than the macbook. 4.5lbs vs 5.5
    For the price difference, the Pro is much better than the regular macbook. But you have (that the regular macbook doesnt have):

LED backlit screen
    Firewire 800
    SD Slot
    Backlit Keyboard
    Multi-Touch Trackpad (This is a great addition to it the "gestures" are so natural and make the interface very comfortable)
    Slightly Thinner

I would still go for the mac. if you have student discount with apple you can get the MBP for $1099

You can also put Win7/Vista/XP on the MBP and it runs VERY well. Some say better than on a PC. Snow Leopard added more features for dualbooting.

PS: Oh yeah, I personally prefer Apple's costumer service and quality control. HP's costumer service can be good at times but their QC needs a lot of improvement and retail stores will agree with that statement.

7. 970261

Thanks for the input Bernok, i'll consider waiting on out to see which side i'll begin leaning to (your statement made me go back to a neutral position actually. Although the Pro is 4.5 pounds and has tons of functionality, my current tx2510us is 4 pounds and i already consider it to be heavy.)

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know...

As much as I like MacBook Pros, they aren't tablets. Seriously, the ability to write and draw on the screen coupled with an app like OneNote is a godsend for a student.

Yes, I know the Axiotron ModBook (Pro) exists, but that's just way too much money, plus Axiotron didn't see fit to hack the existing keyboard and trackpad into a detachable module that fits onto the pure slate ModBook TC1100-style.

Perhaps you can get a MacBook Pro and a cheap Tablet PC (say, a used TC1100) dedicated to note-taking?

9. Bernok

If you are considering apple, you might wanna wait. Looks like apple is about to revamp their macbook line.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/27/apple-about-to-unveil-refreshed-plastic-macbooks/

10. 970261

(Hopes that Apple will actually listen/think about the consumers, both low and business ends before realizing Apple books almost never go below $999 unless refurbished and/or promotional sales coupon/number)

......Goddamit.... xD