MacBook Air announced

Discussion in 'Axiotron Modbook' started by quantum, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Jobs keynote is out all over the web, and it seems the MacBook Air has the spotlight. 13 inch screen (LED backlit), 3 pound weight, .76" thick, purportedly 5 hours of battery life (no idea what conditions that is achieved in though), one USB port (that is not a joke, and I respect the fact that they crammed a lot into a tiny machine), one micro DVI, and an analog audio out. No optical (99 dollar superdrive available, takes up the only USB port, or it has some proprietary way of connecting to the optical drives of machines on a local network). Also has a multitouch trackpad and backlit keyboard. Now here's what it's missing: no touchscreen, which kinda makes this post awkward, but I think that would be the most natural evolutionary step (hah! evolutionary step of a product that is unavailable at the time of writing). No 1394, which is awkward for a mac. Not enough USB ports, which will be the pitfall for many users, and should have been another design and engineering challenge for the developers (they shouldn't have given up just to get this thing out the door). Lastly, I don't know what interface the 1.8" 80 gig drive on the base model or the SSD, but the price premium for the SSD is ridiculous, even for a Mac.

So, any thoughts on this one?

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

this is going to be for highly mobile folks. the normal person, who really needs more, probably won't buy it, unless they are massive fanboys and wants to be "cool" with the latest mac products.

Its going to be underpowered compared to other products out there, and the only thing going for it is the weight.

3. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I can see it now...

Stranger: What's that peice of crap?
    Applehead: It's and iTouch.
    Stranger: No, the other one...
    Applehead: Its my iPhone!
    Stranger: ... No, no, no. The OTHER one.
    Applehead: Its my Macbook Air... Duh.
    Stranger: What does it do?
    Applehead: Well it's a computer, can't do much though. The spec's are worse than a 4 year old laptop.
    Stranger: Then why did you buy it?
    Applehead: It's shiney!
    Stranger: Is that all?
    Applehead: Well the main reason I bought it is because it matches my iPhone and iTouch...
    Stranger: Why get the iTouch if you have an iPhone? Why get the MacBook Air if you have an iPhone? They all do the same thing!
    Applehead: Duh... It's called "coordination".

It helps to imagine the "applehead" in sort of a 'Paris Hilton' kind of way, if you catch my drift...

No offence to anyone this may discribe!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  4. quantum

If the SSD version were decently priced, it had more I/O ports, then this would be a viable alternative to the IGP solutions of the Dell 1330, VAIO SZ and perhaps some MSI models. That is, if it could also run vista or xp alongside all that. Other than that, it is kinda underwhelming.

5. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

the only thing it has going for it is the thickness or lack there of... This thing in my opinion wasnt worth making if it cant perform! There are way too many more options out there with better performance that are significantly cheaper and still arent oversized. If size is a problem, you might as well check out the tx2000, or head over to fujitsu, or even gateways c-120.

6. thefinalgamer

thefinalgamer i miss my tablet

lol thats probably true

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. quantum

Ok more specs out:

1. The DVI is single link.
    2. Ironically, the software to use DVD drives from other machines on a network comes on a DVD (WTF).
    3. The USB port has above standard power output to be able to power the superdrive.
    4. Mono speaker hidden somewhere under the keyboard.
    5. The battery is not user replaceable.
    6. This sucks.

Edit: 7. The bezel and wasted space is hideous, making it a closer footprint to the MBP. Lets hope Axiotron finds a better way to Modbook'ify this into a lean but actually also mean machine. Other than the fact that Mac OS has merely very basic touch input support.
    8. This kinda kills my dreams of a smaller MBP or an ultraportable Mac tablet convertible. We all know the next big refresh will be Montevina for the lineup rather than any new product announcements.

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

I'd like to know how it works. On the product page it states like it's easy as 1-2-3. Pop in the disk on a computer with an optical drive, install. Install the same software on the MacBook Air. Use the "loaned" optical drive.

What happens if an individual does not have a wireless router or an established network? Perhaps it's done through Bluetooth? What if a user has a desktop or notebook that doesn't have embedded Bluetooth? How does the software install on the MacBook Air if one of those problems listed is present? Perhaps you can download it from the Apple website (unlikely)? Or it may offer an option to copy the necessary files to a flash/thumb drive.

Perhaps it is required/assumed that those who buy the MBA that they have a wireless router and network of some sort, perhaps through AirPort Extreme.

Hopefully we'll figure it out in the next few hours/days of how exactly this loaning of an existing computer's optical drive works and communicates with the MacBook Air. Maybe the Guided Walkthrough videos will address this (maybe not).

I'm thinking it's just easier to hook up a Mac-compliant/compatible optical drive to the MBA -- or just buy the full-fledged MB or MBP.

9. quantum

So far what i've read indicates the sharing of optical drives is done through 802.11 only, and not bluetooth. So basically you need a computer running Mac OS or Windows with an optical drive hooked to a network which is also broadcasting on 802.11 to be able to use it. Once the software is installed, my guess is it just introduces the drive path to the network as a shared network device, hence making it accessible to the MBA. At this point the user probably installs on the MBA as well. Given that the program is on a DVD, flash drives may be a problem as many people still use drives smaller than a DVD in capacity.

I really wish Apple had something a lot better up their sleeves so the rest of the mobile computing manufacturers would have to play their cards to compete. I'm thinking 13" Macbook touch with some sort of tactile multitouch touchscreen for a keyboard and a LED backlit main screen for display. Add Montevina, integrated superdrive and some decent Leopard updates for touch support and voila, OSX jumps on the touchscreen bandwagon far earlier than projected for Windows 7 (although Vista already has the edge there so it's really OSX playing catchup now).

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I only say: buy the better VAIO TZ or Toshiba R500 if you want a really lightweight notebook with everything a big laptop has.