M80TA - Tips on trying a clean install of Windows 10 (Deleting Partitions)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Elan, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Elan

Elan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

As the upgrade process failed 3 times, I want to try and clean install Windows 10.

I have

- Bootable USB with Windows 10 Home
    - USB OTG cable with Keyboard/Mouse/USB stick

I booted the machine from the USB Stick using the BIOS, and setup started. I'm stuck now on the partition delete section, not sure which one should I keep. There's the 28GB one, but there are 3 more (system/recovery/etc). On my desktop I usually delete all, and let Windows installer recreate them, but I'm not sure if the same goes with this Tablet.

Any tips ?

Also, the error I kept getting while upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10 was -
    "0x800700002 - 0x20007 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_DRIVERS operation". Couldn't find any info on that on-line about this specific tablet, did any of you get this error too ?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

You do know you'll have to upgrade first so your Windows 8.1 key will be upgraded to a Windows 10 key? You cannot do a fresh install with your current key until you've done an upgrade.

3. Elan

Elan Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I just realized that... but the upgrade as it keeps failing. I tried upgrading using the ISO file and from the on-line Windows update method. I tried with and without removing personal files and settings. I uninstalled all of the drivers to test, but nothing helped. I have 8GB free, so I don't think that's the problem... So I'm kinda stuck, can't upgrade and can't clean install...

4. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried resetting Windows 8.1 first then do the upgrade on the clean 8.1?

5. Elan

Elan Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally... after the second reset of 8.1, and going immediately to airplane mode, I managed to install the upgrade via USB stick. Thanks for helping :)