M700/M750 Chip Replacement

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by adam.mt, May 28, 2010.

1. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Due to the lack of overt information here (did a search), I was wondering if anyone has tried to replace the processor in the M700/M750 series, and what were the results/procedures, if any...

I find that a cache memory of only 3 MB on the currently offered processors is not decent enough for power usage (when docked in office), which is why I would be looking to replace it, if at all possible...

I'm still trying to decide on which unit to purchase, but find that the M400 is still the best bet for me (with a processor upgrade), albeit being an older model...

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can confirm that the chip IS upgradable in the M700 (presumably so in the M750 as well), and relatively easy to access.

You'll need to remove these screws on the bottom...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these on the top that are under the hinge cover. The cover itself will come up with little effort. I was able to lift it up without any tools, if you decide to use a screwdriver to lift it off though be careful because this piece is plastic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what the "guts" of the M700 look like. I failed to circle the 5 screws that hold down the heatsink over the CPU and GPU (3 holding down the sink over the CPU, and 2 that can be seen directly to the left of the RAM).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the CPU and GPU. Note that the CPU is held in place with a "screw down" type mechanism. Once you get to this point upgrading your CPU should be no problemo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TabbedOut

Really though, if you want a faster processor on the M700 you are better off buying the laptop with the processor you want from Toshiba. These processors are quite expensive (about 1/3 the cost of the laptop if you buy them new). On the M750, you would have to weigh the benifits of the T9300 or T9500 vs the cost of the upgrade (as this laptop is not "customizable" as far as I can tell).

As far as a processor upgrade on the M400 to one with 6mb of cache... I don't think it will be possible. I believe that the Penryn processors are the first with 6mb of cache, and I do not believe that the M400 will accept this line of chips.

4. SuperFlyBoy

Exactly - not customizable!

Will have to put up the additional funds if I think that the performance can be enhanced...

Right, sadly I am not able to obtain a M400 with UMTS built-in...

Thus, will have to go with the really small screen of the M750 - *if* I can find someone with stock available next week...(in the UK)

5. SuperFlyBoy

Btw, what *are* the differences between the M700 and the M750?

Has anyone posted a comprehensive list, and is it really any better?

6. TabbedOut

The main difference that I can see are that the M750 has the Intel 4500MHD graphics and the M700 has the Intel x3100 graphics. The 4500MHD is supposed to be faster and has HD video support (so you can play blue-ray videos with the player that Toshiba doesn't sell with this laptop). The x3100 is certainly fast enough for what I use it for (note taking, internet surfing, document creation/editing) but whether the M750 is worth the increased price (I know it's nominal compared to the overall cost, but still) with the slower processor is up to you.

In thinking about it I was wondering why Toshiba didn't offer the T9300/T9500 chips on the M750 and one thought popped into my head. If all things are equal except for the graphics, the M750 MAY not be able to handle the additional heat output from the faster CPU with the 4500MHD chip on board. You can see on the picture that the CPU and GPU share the same heatsink, so this very well be the limiting factor. Considering the small amount of internal clearance, if heat was a problem I think you would have a difficult time installing a low profile fan if it came down to that. Just a thought if you are seriously considering upgrading.

Since the laptops are identicle in all aspects except the graphics (I think) you could look up reviews of the graphics chips only and compare just that. This is what I used: 4500MHD and x3100

7. TabbedOut

If this is something you NEED (internal that is) you may as well not get the M750. As far as I can tell the M750 does not offer this as an option directly, but more importantly it does not offer Intel Turbo memory. Before you think I went off the deep end let me explain. Since Toshiba does not offer this directly as an option you would have to upgrade this yourself but you NEED an extra PCIE slot (unless you are willing to lose your 802.11x support). Toshiba, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to not include the PCIE slot (the space is there, and it's labeled '3G') if you do not purchase the Turbo memory option from them. If you have some soldering skills (translation: you have the patience and ability to attach 52 contacts that are about the diameter of a human hair with very little space between said contacts) you can physically attach the missing PCIE slot (can be purchased here), but this is going to take a WHOLE lot of effort. Could you use an external USB dongle instead?

The M700, on the other hand, does offer Intel Turbo memory as an upgrade option (you need to order the laptop with 2gb of RAM though... not a huge deal). You could, after you recieved it, remove the Intel memory and install the tranciever that you need in it's place.

To give you an idea I just took a picture of a connector that I purchased (I haven't had the time to install it because of school) on top of a business card for reference. What you don't see are is that there are connectors on the back side that would need to be soldered down as well.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. SuperFlyBoy

Thanks for the fantastic and detailed info!

How would you compare the M700/M750 versions to the Fujitsu T5010?

Edited to Add: From your photographs, I noted only one stick of RAM is present - is this some sort of double-RAM holder, where the RAM is placed on top of each other? TIA!

9. TabbedOut

As far as comparing the M700/750 to the T5010 I couldn't tell you. I've never used the Fujitsu so I couldn't give you a fair assessment. I would look in the Fujitsu forum and look at the TabletPC review to get an idea. The impression that I get is that the Fujitsu is a nice machine though.

I have two sticks of RAM installed. The second stick is installed under the keyboard (don't worry, it's easy to access). Speaking of under the keyboard. This is where the PCIE slots are located. One of the things I like about this laptop is that Toshiba did a good job at making the components that most users would want to upgrade easily accessable. One other notable item that I love is that you have EASY access to the heatsink. If you look at the first photo that I posted in the upper right hand corner there is a panel missing. This is where you can remove accumulated dust so that instead of just blowing it back into a deep recess of the laptop, you can remove it to keep your laptop running cool.

All in all, I am really happy with my purchase. There have been a few issues (stuck pixels in the first one I got, but Toshiba exchanged it), and again the absent PCIE slot... This laptop is more than powerful enough for everything that I do, but at the same time runs pretty cool (34-35 idle, 38-41 with 4-5 applications open). I think Toshiba did a better job with the M700 than with their previous tablets as far as design is concerned.

10. SuperFlyBoy

Hi TabbedOut,

Are you able to comment on whether the keyboards of the M700 can be swapped out, as I have just purchased a UK version (for the HSDPA built-in) and want to have the standard US version...

TIA!

11. SuperFlyBoy

On the subject of your noting the PCI-E slot next to the wireless modem, why is it that Toshiba did not put in a physical (male/female) slot there? From your photographs, it appears that it is present, but we are also looking through the translucent plastic cover/guard. Any clearer pix available?

Note that my 3G modem card sits there but I didn't want to pull off the plastic guard...

Did you notice any additional antenna wires there?

12. GeekStarPilot

GeekStarPilot Scribbler - Standard Member

It is my understanding that the second PCI-E slot if you ordered your M700 with the Intel Turbo Memory option.

I have not opened my M700 yet so I cannot comment on the existence of antenna wires.

13. SuperFlyBoy

I have the 3G UK version, and therefore have the 2nd PCI-E slot installed correctly (I hope!), as I haven't started using it yet...

14. TabbedOut

In my M700 (ordered without turbo memory, so no PCIE slot installed by Toshiba) there are no wires to be seen. This is not to say that they do not exist, but given that Toshiba seems to not include hardware like the PCIE slot if Turbo Memory was not ordered it would surprise me if they included an antennae if the 3G option was not ordered. IF they do exist, you may need to disassemble the entire computer to get to them if they are tucked in to the case (there are no wires visable when the base is removed, so if they are there you would have to remove the motherboard to get to them)... which would be almost as bad as having to install them from scratch IMHO.

15. bits

bits Pen Pal - Newbie

Superflyboy - Are you in the uk? I ask as I have a brand new M700 in the UK but it has the US keyboard and I want the UK layout! Perhaps we can help each other here?

16. SuperFlyBoy

Well, just took a look at the ToshibaDirect.com website, and they offer to customize a M750 with the T9500 chip...I might just order one, and swap out the 3G modem/display and/or antennae...

However, the customize option does not offer the chance to include the PCI-E internal (or any) "turbo boost" memory - not good!

$200 more for the upgrade.

I really wished that it might have been possible, but I guess the character who was going to sell me the M400 backed out, so I bought the M700...

How were you able to tell regarding the stuck pixels?

My screen is matte, and therefore, very difficult to distinguish details like that, as compared to my nw8000's or my M7, which have the UXGA(+?) and SXGA+ resolutions, respectively...

17. SuperFlyBoy

Well, JediZero666 just posted from where he ordered his laptop in another thread - PortableOne at www.laptopsinc.com - and they are allowing one to configure an M700 with the turbo memory - nice if possible!

No mention of the M750 though - I wonder whether one should pounce on this option immediately, before they pull it...:(

18. mikey104

mikey104 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think you could provide the link to the customizable M750? I can't seem to find it anywhere; all I see are the base M700's, the customizable M700, and the two different M750 base models.

Edit: Never mind. I found it. Now it has led me to more questions. What is the different between the T9400 and the P9500? Why is the first $50 less expensive, and why does the P9500 not say "with 64-Bit"? Can you not get 64-Bit on it? Is 64-Bit standard on the others?

19. SuperFlyBoy

For others' reference:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?seg=HHO&poid=431575&fgpn=PPM75U-02501N

They are both the same series of chips, I think - so don't worry about this...

Edited to Add: Just go to the Intel website to check it out, and be sure to report back here!

20. mikey104

mikey104 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I did find the two processors' pages on Intel's site. I found two differences. The P9500 does not have "Execute Disable Bit," whatever that is, while the T9400 does not. Also, the T9400 runs on 35 Watts while the P9500 has 25 Watts. Intel does list the P9500 to be more expensive, so that should account for the $50 price difference. What I have not found is an explanation for the fact that the P9500 does not say "with 64-bit." Maybe I should give Toshiba a call/email?

P9500: http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=35566
    T9400: http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=35562